From:
Dave Gillett <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 23 Jul 1999 13:56:31 -0700
On 23 Jul 99, at 0:33, Uzi Paz wrote:

> I'm interested to discuss what are the consideration in making the
> decisions how to allocate and define logical drives, which sizes and for
> what purposes.
> I'm buying a hard disk, 8.4 Gb, and Win98, and I wish to install it there.
> I thought of putting the basic Win98 installation, and the temporary
> directory on drive C: (say, 1Gb), and not to use it for anything else.
> I would consider a second 1Gb logical drive for the swap files and for
> temporary usage for CD burning (this temporary usage is limited by
> nature to 750Mb). Should I seperate also these two?
>
> All applications and files would be put on other drives.
> Is it a reasonable division?
> What other consideration I should make?
> Does Win98 allows me to put the swap files on a seperate drive? or the
> temporary directory on a seperate drive?

  I definitely recommend placing the swap file on a separate partition; while
you're at it, make it also a fixed size (same minimum and maximum).  You may
be able to get even better performance by putting it on a different physical
drive, if possible.
  But I'm afraid you're likely to be frustrated in you attempt to fully
implement the scheme that you describe.  While some applications will allow
you to install them to any arbitrary path, others will insist on being
installed to drive C:; Microsoft's "Programmer's Guide to Microsoft Windows
95" urges developers to make their applications install under C:\Program
Files.  [The thinking may be that additional volumes are an "advanced"
feature that only Power Users should ever encounter.]
  Likewise, while some applications will look to the environment for a TEMP
(or TMP...) variable to specify a path to a folder for temporary storage,
others are likely to go to c:\%systemroot%\temp directly.

  While the idea of a small "system" partition for the OS and additional
larger partitions for programs and data is appealing, I'm afraid that more
and more applications are assuming that executables, configuration files, and
temp space all belong on a single huge C: partition; luckily, most will allow
document and data files to reside on any drive.

David G

                   messages? Visit our staff web site:
                     http://nospin.com/pc/staff.html