From:
Jan Lambert <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 6 Jul 1999 10:30:25 -0700
In
on 07/06/99
   at 07:22 AM, "Kurr, Martin" <[log in to unmask]> said:

>My brother just set up a new system: FIC503+, AMD 450MHz,
>Viper550, Motorola 56k flex, 128MB (PC100 DIMM 1pc), Ensoniq
>PCIAudio, 40x EIDE CDROM, Maxtor 5.6GB.  Two problems:
>1) bootup screen shows AMD 400MHz CPU...I think this is wrong
>jumpers, but he swears he triple checked them and they are
>correct.  Is it possible only the report is wrong but the setting
>is actually 450MHz, or are the jumpers wrong?
>2) the modem connects fine, but kicks off after, say, 5 to 50
>minutes. Newest drivers extended this from 5 to 15 minutes.
>Modem diagnostics show proper results.  HyperTerminal self-test
>gives correct results.  2 Phone cords, 2 ISP's (both TCP/IP), and
>one phone company line check later shows same problem.  USB is
>not properly set up in device manager, but all ports are OK.
>BIOS COM 1 & 2 are enabled, modem is on COM 4.  Modem properties
>grays out "max. speed" and "connect only at this speed" settings
>(set at 115k, always connect at max).  Port Settings button is
>clickable but does not open a box.  No device conflicts exist in
>device manager.  The modem log shows remote modem hang-up.
>Before the upgrade, using a 33.6k modem, this problem never
>occurred for either ISP.  What's the deal? Martin Kurr
>email [log in to unmask]

It looks like you have two problems: The 400 MHz CPU and the
modem. I agree that the cpu problem is probably incorrect jumpers,
but i don't have any experience with the FIC 503+.

The modem problem appears to be just that, a modem problem. Likely
places to look are the sytem setup for keep-alive and idle
disconnect times. The other more likely canidate is the phone
line. 33.6K modems are pretty solid once connected. 56K is a
different story. They are seriously affected by line length (to
the central office) and some types of line noise. I am using a USR
56K X2 modem with pretty good results. The FLEX modems have a
poorer rep. If you haven't upgraded the firmware to V.90 that may
help. You might also dial one of the 800 modem test numbers (See
USR's webpage) to see how good your line is. Try several times
during the day, as crosstalk changes.

Note that the "central office" might be a box at the end of the
street. You need to talk to the telco about that.

jan lambert

                  Visit our website regularly for FAQs,
                  http://nospin.com - http://nospin.org