From:
Ken Stuart <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 22 Jul 1999 05:42:20 GMT
On Thu, 22 Jul 1999 00:42:09 EDT, "Daniel R. Lurie" <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

>In a message dated 7/21/99 8:04:59 PM, [log in to unmask] writes:
>
><< I know that in my own case, Omega-3 fatty acid supplementation in the form
>of
>fish oil capsules helps my health, and makes my fatty acid balance more in
>line
>with what is likely to have been found in Paleolithic diets (cf Udo Erasmus,
>PhD, and Barry Sears, PhD on fatty acids in Paleolithic diet).
> >>
>Which goes back to  my previous question about flaxseed meal.
>
>        Flax is supposed to be much higher in omega-3s than fish oil
>(cheaper, too). Is there any reason why I should avoid it on NeanderThin?

(1) There has been some debate on this list as to whether flax seed is paleo
(search the archives for "flax").

(2) If we are concerned about omega-3s because of their effect on physiology,
then there are reasons why fish oil is preferable.   Since you responded in
reference to my statements concerning Barry Sears' research on omega-3s, here is
a quote from one of his books from his "Zone Diet" perspective, but nonetheless
directly concerning omega-3 usage in the body (pg 293-294 of Mastering The
Zone):

<begin quote>

" Q: What's wrong with supplementing my diet with flaxseed oil?

A: A central theme in The Zone is the reduction of arachidonic acid levels by
diet.  Controlling insulin is your most powerful tool, but the addition of
omega-3 fatty acids can also have a significant benefit.  Flaxseed oil is rich
in alpha linolenic acid (ALA), which is an omega-3 fatty acid and therefore has
some use in controlling arachidonic acid production.  But if you are going to
supplement with an omega-3 oil, then I recommend fish oil, which is rich in the
best omega-3 fatty acid, eicosapentaenoic acid (EPA).  EPA has a tenfold greater
impact on reducing the production of bad eicosanoids than does ALA on a
gram-for-gram basis.  Another reason I prefer fish oil over flaxseed oil is that
the excess consumption of ALA in flaxseed oil tends to reduce the production of
gamma linolenic acid (GLA), the building block of good eicosanoids.  What's
excess? Anything more than one tablespoon per day.  Finally, the vast body of
research data on the clinical benefits of EPA is overwhelming.  Therefore,
supplementation with EPA as opposed to ALA will have a far greater impact in
getting you into the Zone.  But before you add any omega-3 fatty acid
supplements to your diet, try to get those fatty acids from food itself.  The
best source of EPA?  Salmon.  Of course, you could do what your grandmother did
in her day to ensure adequate levels of EPA, and take cod liver oil.

Q: Besides salmon, where can I get EPA, and how often should I eat fish each
week?

A: Other sources that are rich in EPA include mackerel and sardines.  Other
marine sources that have a lower EPA content are common fish such as tuna,
swordfish, scallops, shrimp, and lobster.  Try to consume about 300 mg of EPA
per week.  This would translate into one serving of salmon or four servings of
tuna or similar fish per week.   One teaspoon of cod liver oil contains about
500 mg of EPA.

Q: I'm a vegetarian and can't use fish oil.  What should I do?

A: This is the one case I would suggest supplementation to your diet with
flaxseed oil as a source of omega-3 fatty acids.  But I would recommend no more
than one tablespoon of refined flaxseed oil per day so that the natural
production of GLA is not compromised."

<end quote>