From:
Rob Street <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 15 Feb 1999 10:42:22 PST
>How about espresso that is made quickly with
>high pressure steam-- my cappucino maker directions stated that
>espresso is supposed to have less caffeine than regularly brewed
>coffee

Espresso and other "dark roast" coffees do, contadictory to popular
belief, ahve less caffeine.  Dark roasting is just that - the beans are
roasted longer, making them darker, and the coffee richer.  The longer a
bean is roasted, the less caffeine the resulting coffee will have.
Espresso is made from a particular grind of "Espresso roasted" coffee
beans - one of the darker, therefore longer roasted beans.  I don't
think the high pressure and temperature are the cause for less caffeine.
I believe that Ray states in Neanderthin that coffee beans are actully
berries that are inedible when raw.

-Rob