CHOMSKY Archives

CHOMSKY@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Dan Koenig <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 25 Mar 1999 17:09:08 -0800
Julian, I think that perhaps you have misread John's position.  I didn't see it
at all as one of libertarianism, but rather as one of pacifism.  The question I
heard him asking is: does one kill people to stop people from killing people
(redundancies deliberate).  I think that he was opting  for more of a Ghandian
approach.  Martin Luther King and Nelson Mandela, among others, would agree with
him (and don't forget Havel and Lech).  There is much historical evidence to
support such an approach.  On the other hand, there is the mid-East and the
Balkans and African tribal conflicts.  I'm with my interpretation of John on
this.  Dan Koenig