C-PALSY Archives

Cerebral Palsy List

C-PALSY@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Linda Wagner <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Tue, 18 May 1999 20:55:44 -0400
Hello,

I am 26 with mild spastic diplegia cp and a fifth grade public school
teacher.  Having said that...

I do believe that the only way we can change the attitudes of children
and adults is if we show them that we are ordinary people who just have
a physical disability.  The first step to doing that is being a part of
the regular community at school.  I went to a regular public school in a
regular class except for an occasional adaptive gym class.  Now I am a
teacher myself...Yes, I did run into kids in school that made cruel
taunts, jokes etc., but I think that made me a stronger person who was
more determined than ever to make something of myself.

Also, I think that if your child is able to navigate the school and
handle the day to day, then he should at least try school...As someone
else said, if we continue to hide, people's attitudes will never change.

I go to work everyday and prove to kids and adults that you don't have
to let a disability stop you.  After the first few days of school,
nobody even mentions the disability.  I am just another teacher.  That's
what I set out to accomplish.  I want kids to be informed and
comfortable around all people...black, white, disabled or not.  I am a
role model.  Your son could be too.

Now I've rambled on far too long, but I hope some of what I've said
makes you think a bit.  I'd be more than happy to shed light on more of
the details of education these days if you like.  Just e-mail me
directly.

Linda