VICUG-L Archives

VICUG-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Patty Arnold <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Patty Arnold <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 4 Jun 2002 06:59:42 -0700
Hi,

I believe the reason the numbers remain the numbers even when cap lock is on
is so that you can do a mixture of capital letters and numbers without
having to continually change back and forth from cap lock on to cap lock
off.  Perhaps when powers that be decided how to do this they figured that
people would be far less likely to need alot of the symbols in a row than
they would numbers.

I'm admiting my age,(and for you youngsters out there, I'm over 40 but under
50, so no, I'm not in the senior citizen age group as of yet) but I too
owned a manual typewriter and used it in college.  They had electrics by
this time, but I bought a used manual.  I later traded a used guitar for an
old underwood manual typewriter that I think must be an antique and I've
displayed it as a piece of history in my living room.  It's kind of
interesting to consider where we came from.

Patty Arnold