VICUG-L Archives

VICUG-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
"Steuerwalt, Jon C." <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Steuerwalt, Jon C.
Date:
Thu, 17 May 2001 12:13:09 -0400
I'm confused by what Ms. Reid has said.  On one hand she says that Acrobat 5
allows authors to  make separate choices about a PDF document's ability to
be copied and its ability to be read by a screen reader.  She then says
"...the accessibility interfaces remain a potential path for circumventing
the security mechanisms."

If a future version of Acrobat is engineered so that PDF's are exposed to
only certain,  "trusted" screen readers, will an author still have the
choice to protect their document from those screen readers because they
still represent a potential tool with which to work around the document's
copy protection scheme?

And at what point do the system requirements to run the Acrobat reader -
because of their cost -  create a new category of users for whom PDF is
inaccessible? - Jon