VICUG-L Archives

VICUG-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Bill Malyszka <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Bill Malyszka <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 14 Oct 2000 18:01:48 +0000
At 05:22 PM 10/14/00 -0400, Karyl Loux wrote:
>[...]  I have a 5 year old, exceptionally bright, =
>student with no vision.  I don't think it is suitable for her to have to =
>have a big switch device or a different keyboard then her peers when she =
>exceeds them in intellectual abilities.  That is why I am looking for =
>alternatives to mouse operations that don't require big devices.  =
>Software or scripting approaches is my preference.

As I repsonded to you privately and on the list, Easy Access is a control
panel that has been included with every single version of the Mac OS since
System 6.0.8 about ten years ago...:) It is exactly what you need from what
you describe. All it does is let you use the numpad for moving and clicking
the mouse. It is usually not installed by default but it is on every CD and
set of floppies that Apple has put out since about 1990.

>I think it is a real shame that the Apple manufacturers, and the =
>software writers for the device haven't bothered to consider this.  =
>Being able to use the tab to cycle through visual screen based buttons =
>really isn't a huge programming chore.  The use of hot-key choices is =
>another option that is really missing.  I  think that with the predicted =
>stronger enforcement of accessibility laws in educational environments, =
>it may end up diminishing Apple sales to public schools.  If they and =
>the software companies that write for them can't get on board with =
>accessibility for all, it is not a good thing.  (Just my humble =
>opinion.)

Perfectly reasonable opinion but time will tell...:)

>So, does anyone have more advice?  How about a good keyboarding program =
>for MACs used by 5 to 9 year olds without vision?  Once again, I do =
>appreciate whatever help anyone can provide.

Look at <http://www.apple.com/education/k12/disability/> and again, look at
the Easy Access control panel. I understand your frustration but there may
be an answer in the system CD...:)

Cheer and g'luck...

...b