VICUG-L Archives

VICUG-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Travis Siegel <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Travis Siegel <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 23 Sep 2000 21:29:29 +0000
On Fri, 22 Sep 2000, Lee A Beaty wrote:

> I want to call your attention to the following:
>
> In late May or early June I asked list members if anyone knew of low cost
> Unix shell service.
>
> Travis Siegel from Softcon.Com responded and as a result I purchased a
> subscription with his company.   The company has just [apparently] shut
> down (his E-mail is non-functional and the website cannot be
> accessed)  and there is at least one customer (myself) who has paid for
> service that will not be forthcoming.

I would like to point out several inaccuracies in the above statements.
First of all, Yes Lee did purchase 3 months of access.  These three months
ended in early september.  Lee then claimed that he had sent another
payment via paypal.com which never arrived.  (it wasn't sent, but I gave
him access to the server anyway because he said there was some important
emails he needed to get off the server)
On Thursdayafternoon (sept 21st) Softcon experienced a hardware failure
that (due to our provider not notifying us of a problem) caused our
server to go down due to overheating.  As soon as we could, the entire
server (not just the power supply) was replaced, and the server was once
again back in operation around 5 PM Saturday afternoon.  This hardly
constitutes going away and taking money from a shell account user who
hasn't paid for his account.  I would urge folks to make their own
judgments as to how such circumstances could/would otherwise be handled.
The server was down for less than 2 full days, and would hadly qualify as
going away forever.
I do not agree with posting to public lists about personal topics, but
seeing as this was a personal attack of sorts, I could not let it go
unanswered.  I apologize to the rest of the list for making such a post,
but under the circumstances, I feel it is justified.  I will post nothing
else on this topic providing no further personal attacks fre forthcoming
from our friend here.