VICUG-L Archives

VICUG-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Kelly Pierce <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Kelly Pierce <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 26 Aug 2000 13:07:12 -0500
From the Redwing, Minnesota Republican Eagle

   Published Tuesday, August 22, 2000

Blind man changes work environment stereotypes

   By ANN BARSNESS / Red Wing Republican Eagle

   An AP Member Exchange Feature<

   RED WING, Minn. (AP) -- Wayne Hansen graduated from Faribault Area
   Vocational Technical Institute in 1980 prepared to work in the machine
   industry. But potential employers were not prepared to hire him.

   They were afraid he would hurt himself. They didn' t think he could do
   the job. They had never worked with someone who is blind.

   " That' s why it took me 20 years. A lot of them don' t want to give
   you a chance to get in the door. It took a lot of patience and
   perseverance, " Hansen said.

   Nearly four months ago, he started working at DBI SALA -- a job
   arranged by IRC Industries. Several weeks ago DBI SALA put him on the
   regular payroll.

   On a recent afternoon, Hansen was inserting alignment pins into a
   brake system for a retrievable cable device designed to stop workers'
   falls. He grabbed discs with his left hand, pins with his right. He
   positioned each pin, then lowered the vice grip to secure it in place.

   Supervisors are quick to point out that Hansen' s work is top quality.

   " His quality standards are no different than anybody else' s on the
   floor, " said Chuck Caverly, vice president of operations.

   Metal fabrication supervisor Dave Sommerfield, who works directly with
   Hansen, used the word " amazing" more than once when he described his
   newest employee.

   " When he first came in here, I had mixed (feelings) about it. But
   after working with him, it' s amazing. Whatever I' ve given him so
   far, he' s been able to do, " Sommerfield said. " You show him how
   once and he' s got it. I was really amazed at the things that he can
   do."

   Sally Ogren, rehabilitation director at IRC, said staff worked with
   Hansen for a couple of months to learn his skills and interests.
   During that time he tried everything from potting plants to stamping
   leather. But his interest and training were in machine work.

   " I think they were a little apprehensive at first because it involved
   operating machinery, " Ogren said of the DBI SALA staff. " Just
   because he couldn' t see didn' t mean that he couldn' t do a whole lot
   of things."

   Hansen doesn' t see the need for fanfare. He works on a variety of
   assemblies, as do his fellow employees.

   " I just proved myself is what I did, just got in there and started
   the job. They found out, ' Hey, the guy could do more and more and
   more, " ' Hansen said.

   Hansen said the biggest misconception is that he will hurt himself. He
   quickly learned the factory layout. Besides, he says, that' s what the
   cane is for. Sometimes it takes people time to realize that he can
   think for himself. But Hansen complemented his DBI SALA co-workers.

   " They helped me to fit in. They accepted me. If I' d have been in a
   hostile environment, it would' ve been a lot harder. It maybe wouldn'
   t have worked out at all, " Hansen said.

   Hansen' s parents run a farm near Canby in southwestern Minnesota.
   Cancer caused Hansen' s blindness when he was 1 year old; he' s spent
   most of his life away from home.

   " I have to say I' m glad. It made me more independent, " Hansen said.

   In first and second grade, he lived with two different foster families
   in the Twin Cities, where schools had the resources to teach him. For
   a time, his godmother learned Braille and taught Hansen. Then in
   eighth grade, he entered the Faribault School for the Blind. After he
   graduated from the Faribault AVTI, the school' s placement office
   tried for two years to help him find a job.

   " I really would like to see other people have a chance, " Hansen
   said. " I think some of what needs to change is attitude. Give them a
   chance."