VICUG-L Archives

VICUG-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Travis Siegel <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Travis Siegel <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 17 Jun 2000 19:40:55 +0000
Linux is 100% accessible to anyone using a speech synthesizer.  The only
stipulation to get this 100% accessibility is that you need to use a
second computer as your access point to linux.  Using your machine that
already has speech on it, simply log into linux via serial port, and
you're instantly speech enabled for the entire linux operating system.
You can't run X applications, but that's no loss at all, since I've not
found a single yet that I can't do with a command line utility.  Linux is
accessible, and because of it's nature, will remain that way unless
companies like redhat have their way, since in that case, they are not
interested in the traditional user, only in the person sitting at the
keyboard of the main console of the machine.  This is a bad approach,
because although it allows certain assumptions to be made, it drastically
limits the capabilities of what linux can do.  I.E. if you assume every
user is going to be sitting at the main console keyboard, then why would
you need multiple simultaneous logons? It hasn't gotten to this point yet,
but I see it heading that direction in the future.  But as it stands now,
linux is accessible, and it works with 100% of software providing it isn't
an x application.