VICUG-L Archives

VICUG-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
ted young <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
ted young <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 21 Mar 2000 16:11:13 -0500
As you requested, attached is my newsletter, Opportunity Knocks. This publication is free and
represents my company's efforts to keep you up to date with advances in adaptive technology,
to pass on helpful hints, and to carry one or two articles of general interest.
As not all readers have the capacity to handle zip files, I have adopted the practice of putting
the text of the newsletter below in the  body of the
message and attaching a zip file for those who can use it.
The zip file contains an ASCII, and a Microsoft Word copy of the newsletter. As the original
was written in Microsoft Word, formatting may suffer in the ASCII version.
I attempt to release this publication quarterly. Past issues can be found on my homepage.
Please enjoy this material and feel free to send me email with any comments, questions or
requests to be removed from this mailing list.

Theodore (Ted) young

Computer Training & Sales/Disability Consulting

464 Sylvania Avenue     phone (215) 572-5882
Glenside, PA  19038-3629        fax (215) 572-6045

OPPORTUNITY KNOCKS

March 2000

It is humbling to think that the last edition of this technological compilation was crafted in the
crepuscular hours of the 20th century and that this issue is being drafted in the protasis of a
new millennium.

What's that? You had to grab a dictionary and, even at that, the word protasis wasn't in your
Franklin Language master. Well, fear not, there is a great solution. If you love words,
Wordsmith is the service for you. No, I am not trying to sell you something. Wordsmith is free.
You can test it out with crepuscular or protasis.

To use it send an email to [log in to unmask] In the subject line write, "define <your
word>", where <your word> is the word you want defined. Also, do not use the quotation
marks. For example:

Define crepuscular

Send it off and within a few minutes you will have a response back with the definition. Now, if
you're really addicted to words, you probably want to know all of the synonyms for crepuscular.
No problem! Send an email to [log in to unmask] and in the subject line, write "synonym
crepuscular" and send it off.  Also through this service you can get a word-a-day with its
definitions, synonyms and history emailed to you. Want to know how the word is pronounced?
At the bottom of the definition is a link to a .wav file that you can either download or hear
online.

Ok, the technological quidnuncs insist that I get on with more mundane and basic matters.
Let's turn to what's new in adaptive technology.

Technology Updates

        AI SQUARED

        Readers of this adaptive equipment compilation have come to expect continuous
upgrades from this company.  Fear not, you will not be disappointed.

        John Mason, director of marketing at AI Squared, advises that The Screen Magnifiers
Homepage (www.magnifiers.org) has once again chosen ZoomText as the Best Screen
Magnifier of 1999.
This award is given to the magnification software receiving the most votes from end users
around the world. ZoomText has earned this prestigious international award every year since its
inception!  ZoomText remains the site's most popular download as well.

        Also just released is ZoomText version 7.04 with Compatibility One, which means you only
need to buy one version of ZoomText and it will work with all Windows operating systems. In
fact, AI Squared has been fully prepared to work with Windows 2000, and any version of
ZoomText as early as 7.02 will work in that environment. If you are a registered user of
ZoomText Version 7.xx you can download version 7.04 free of charge from the AI Squared
web site. If you own an earlier version of ZoomText you can upgrade through your local dealer.
Young Opportunities is a local dealer.

        Referring to the improvements in ZoomText Xtra version 7.04, John goes on to say,
"ZoomText Xtra is better than ever, with great improvements like; Full support for Microsoft
Office 2000, support for WordPerfect 2000 Suite, an interactive tutorial to get you started
quickly and improved DocReader caret routing." Simple and easy to use, the new ZoomText
Tutorial brings home the knowledge of AI Squared's legendary support staff to your machine.
With built-in speech and large print, this tutorial makes learning ZoomText a snap for any user.

        ARKENSTONE

Change, upgrades and new products are the key words in this Quarters article.

Atlas is now being developed and sold by Mike May's new company, Sendero Group. In
announcing this change, Jim Fruchterman, president of Arkenstone states, "Arkenstone and
Mike May's new company, Sendero Group are collaborating to make Strider a reality in 2000.
Sendero took over Atlas February 1 2000 and has released 3 new products at the CSUN
national adaptive technology conference in March 2000.

For the first time, an accessible GPS information and navigation system is available.  GPS
Auto-Talk combines a GPS receiver/antenna with software on your notebook computer to
provide detailed announcements about the streets and landmarks you are traveling past.  This
new innovative product along with a new version of Atlas 1.7, include new features and
updated map data.  A demo version of Atlas is now available on CD or for download, 6 MB.

Changes in Release 1.7

U.S. map data has been updated through January 1, 2000. Because we have been able to
eliminate some redundant files, the map data now fits on 4 CDs while the map data is newer
and enhanced.

Software for the first GPS-Talk version has been released.  This software is optional.  It runs in
conjunction with Atlas and requires a GPS receiver.  Sendero offers the GPS Auto-Talk
receiver/antenna unit for receiving map and GPS information while traveling in a vehicle. A
separate Installation CD is available to implement this GPS software as part of a new package
or as an upgrade from previous versions of Atlas.

ViaVoice multi-lingual voices now work in Atlas.  (The shortcut to US English is F2, VLB). Go to
the Main Menu, select "Voice Options" and find a new Language option in that menu.  Select
the individual language you desire, or "Multiple," to have up to 15 voices listed under Voice
Selections.  Now arrow to Voice Selection and find the voice you desire.  Reed is the default
for US English.

Notes:

* You must have Atlas 5/97 or Version 1.6 maps to work properly with Atlas 1.7 software.

* If you have multiple languages installed, Atlas may come up speaking the first time in English
words but using a Spanish or French synthesizer.  It is a little hard to understand but the words
are indeed English. Follow the steps above to find the US English voices.

* The SSIL.dll and SSILEXE.exe should both go in the Atlas directory.  If you are using
ViaVoice, the ViaVol.* files should also be in the Atlas directory.

* If you do not have ViaVoice installed, you may need to install the Microsoft SAPI engine,
which can be downloaded at www.BeyondSight.com/Atlas/tech/SAPI.htm. You would need
this engine for example if you have JFW and Eloquence installed but not ViaVoice. Arkenstone
Open Book Ruby automatically installs the SAPI engine.  This engine will not work under
Windows 3.1.

* If you select ViaVoice during the Atlas installation, you will be prompted whether or not you
wish to skip copying a newer SSIL.dll file over the old one. For ViaVoice, this newer dll works
nicely. However, this dll has not been tested with other synthesizers.

The Page Up and Page Down keys now work in Atlas text files like the User Manual, Help and
Quick Reference. They move approximately 24 lines at a time including blank lines.

Serendipity now has 3 preset distances in addition to the manual setting, pedestrian, Bicycle
and Vehicle.

F9 is the new hot key to automatically calculate a route from your current position to a
destination.

Control F9 sets a point of interest at your current position.

F10 toggles between Atlas Explore and GPS modes if you have GPS-Talk.

A Shut Down selection has been added to the Exit Atlas and GPS-Talk options.

The latest SSIL drivers have been added.

The Installation and User manuals have been updated.

An Atlas and GPS-Talk icon has been added to the Windows Desktop.

A bug in copying maps has been fixed.

A bug in the MapCopy utility has been fixed.

Young Opportunities is a dealer for all Arkenstone and Sendero Group products.

        Arkenstone has decided to discontinue the sale of the Arkenclone products. It is felt that
this product is no longer necessary, as most dealers put reading systems together for their
customers at the local level.

In addition to the BookWorm, which we discussed in our last issue, Arkenstone is now
introducing the Braille Wave, a 40-cell refreshable Braille display that includes note-taking
capabilities. This product is produced by Handy Tech. Here is a brief excerpt from their home
page regarding it.

"Ultra-compact Braille Wave fits in any briefcase

      Experience the new ergonomic, powerful, Slimline Braille display with note taker built inside.
Braille Wave - the Braille display that's so light and compact that it fits in any briefcase and still
has 40 Braille cells.

      Light and elegant

      Weighing only 35 oz, you can take the Braille Wave with you wherever you go. Bring it
home from work. Travel with your Braille Wave, it is the perfect companion for your notebook
computer.
      The elegant design combines superb functionality and dynamic shaping - and all that with
such small measurements of 14,1" x 4,7" x 1,3".

      The best ergonomics

      The Braille Wave was specially designed with concave Braille cells that follow the shape of
your fingertips. The reading keys are situated to the right and left of the Braille display itself,
directly where your fingers run off the display. With the quiet, easily used function keys, you
can also make your notes without an external keyboard.

      Easy notes transfer

      The software package supplied with the Braille Wave allows notes to be easily transferred
to the PC. Once this has been done, you can work on them further in any of the various word
processing packages, such as
      Microsoft Word.

      Easy extensions

      Now it is even possible to connect an external keyboard to the Braille Wave. You can
broaden the scope with an alphanumerical keyboard, so you can make notes in the most
comfortable way for you.

      Flexible access to multiple computer platforms

      The Braille Wave gives you access to nearly all computer systems. DOS, Windows 95/98
and even Windows NT can be used with the Braille Wave. The integrated cursor-routing keys
make all of the tools available to you so you can always find the quickest way. For example
when proof-reading a text, you can move the cursor or mouse pointer at lightening speed to the
appropriate position in the document.

      Integrated note-taking facility

      You can use the Braille Wave as a note-taker, without a PC and absolutely anywhere you
want, for 20 hours, without it being plugged in. When working at the computer you can swap
the Braille Wave in to notetaker mode at any time. Quickly jot down a telephone number, write
a memo, or look up an address, then return to your computer application.

      Handy and practical

      The best position for the Braille display in relation to the keyboard is gained by placing the
Braille Wave in front of the PC-keyboard or the laptop. Place the Braille Wave on your lap and
lean back.  In this relaxed state, read your emails or whatever else awaits you!

        If you have called Arkenstone's technical support you have probably talked to Lewis
Tecson, a personable and helpful member of the Arkenstone staff. Congratulations Lewis on
the birth of your son Liam Anthony, born February 10th.

        ARTIC TECHNOLOGIES

        The 2-megabyte memory card for the TransType is still under development and may be
available by next quarter.  Also coming are some changes in the internal memory of the
TransType, although at this point there are no further details available. Your finger-weary scribe
would sure love to have the great feel of the TransType keyboard available on the keyboard
being used to write this article.

The Spirit is being upgraded and will be called the Spirit VX. It is still the same small low cost
speech synthesizer, but the algorithms and translation tables have been upgraded to be
equivalent to the Artic transport.

        DUXBURY

        In preparation for this newsletter I emailed Neal Kuniansky at Duxbury asking him for
updates. He responded, and his quick, full answers are so good, that your humble author
cannot improve upon them. Therefore, although it is rare that I do this, here is his reply in full.

"Check out our new website at: http://www.DuxburySystems.com for the latest in an
appealing accessible website!

MegaDots 2.1 release (or almost-release) includes among other things revolutionary table
formatting and ability to handle the recent BANA textbook formatting rules.

Coming soon!  DBT WIN 10; 2f includes among other things support for Office 2000, LaTeX
file support for math files from such programs as Scientific Notebook and Math Type (math
editing programs), and much, much more!

Perky Duck released!  This product was created for distance education and web based
education of Braille transcribers. This revolutionary tool is essentially a Perkins Brailler for the
computer.  Windows and Macintosh versions are available.  It has very limited formatting and
no translation.  You can emboss, print, or electronically save your homework and tests.  There
is no charge for Perky Duck.  Just download it from the new website.

More exciting things to come!  Duxbury-MegaDots combo pack for $750!  Trade up from either
DBT-DOS or MegaDots to DBT-WIN for only $375 for single user licenses under 5 years old!

DBT is in the process of adding British Math, French Math, Malaysian, Modern Greek,
Norwegian, and other languages.

Celebrate our 25th anniversary with us!
On July 4th, 2000 Duxbury Systems, Inc will celebrate 25 years of making software for Braille.
For any software company to be in the same business it was 25 years ago is astounding.  But,
to be involved in bringing software for the translation, transcription, and production of Braille to
the blind around the world is nothing short of miraculous.  Joe Sullivan, still president and CEO,
founded the company.  The little company that was in an impossible dream still survives doing
good work for Braille all around the world.

Duxbury is WIRED:
We were one of the "top stories" in Wired! You can follow the link at:
http://www.wired.com/news/technology/0,1282,34435,00.html."

        GW MICRO

        Window-eyes 4.0 is coming soon. There should be a public beta available in a few
weeks, followed by the final release. Here are some of the features excerpted from the GW
micro web page:

More compatibility with most popular applications: Window-Eyes works with most applications
right out of the box and can easily be improved with "easy-to-create" set files, and requires no
complicated scripting.

One of the most asked-for features is Braille support. 4.0 has it!  We will start with support for
the most popular Braille displays and add more as time permits.  There will be aspects to this
Braille support not offered by anyone else.  Wait and see; or should we say FEEL!

Enhanced Internet support. Yes, it is even better. Tired of hearing Window-Eyes saying,
instantaneous.

There will be support for IE 5.0, 5.01 and IE 5.5. We strongly recommend you upgrade to
IE5.01 now to be ready!

Online Upgrade and Registration from the Help menu

Major support for Lotus Notes 5.x

Support for Windows9X and Windows Millennium (Windows Me)

Instant access to the systray; we've been including access to the system tray longer than
anyone else. Now the response time is immediate.  Just a friendly little tweak from us to you.

Remember that autolabel graphics feature we gave you some time ago?  Faster, faster, faster!
Blazing speed for you to get things done now.

Support for the new upcoming TripleTalk PCI synthesizer

Enhanced support for Office 97, Office 2000, Cakewalk 9, Visual Basic 6

Added set file enhancements make it even easier to create set files.

Enhanced synthesizer selection.  It's been there for a long time, but now selecting synthesizers
on the fly is easier than ever.

Several reading enhancements, plus much, much more!

As a beta-tester for this product I can assure you that the above excerpt is no exaggeration.

Window-Eyes 4.0 will work with windows 95, 98, and Windows Millennium when it becomes
available. It will remain at the current price for Window-Eyes. Window-Eyes 2000 will work with
Windows 2000, which my astute readers will remember, is the latest version of Windows NT,
and will have a list price of $995.00. The company intends to offer an attractive upgrade price
for current Window-Eyes users.

        Staff changes in the company. Sonja Morgan has married and is now Sonja Homan and
she has been promoted to training and sales coordinator. New marriage, new promotion, big
congratulations to you Sonja!

        Any one who has called GW for tech support has probably met the knowledgeable Mike
Lauler on the phones at some time or other. Mike has been promoted to technical liaison and
technical support manager. I would like to think that the patience I helped him to develop while
dealing with my early on technical support questions has contributed to this well deserved
promotion. Congratulations Mike keep up the good work.

        HENTER-JOYCE

        In my last newsletter I reported on Jaws for Windows Version 3.31. Almost immediately
after that technology update went to press Henter-Joyce came out with version 3.5. It is a
smoothly running product with many new features. There is a comprehensive list of new
features on the Henter-Joyce home page at www.hj.com. This page has a new look and is
easy to navigate. A summary of just some of the new features follows:

Support for new applications including:
      AOL Instant Messenger 3.5
      Lotus Notes 5.0
      Audio Manager 2.0
      Chat 2.5
      FrontPage 2000
      GroupWise 5.2
      Juno Email 3.0
      Microsoft Chat 2.5
      Quattro Pro 9
      Quick Verse 6.0
      Random House Webster's Unabridged Dictionary Version 3
      Real Player 7
      Tax Act 99
      TextBridge 9.0
      The Year 1999 and 2000 Grolier Multimedia Encyclopedias
      Theophilos Bible Software
      Webster's New World Dictionary & Thesaurus Fourth Edition
      WinFax Pro 9.0
      WordPerfect 9

Improved support for many popular applications including:
      Internet Explorer 5.0, Word 2000, WordPerfect 8 and 9, and PowerPoint 2000,

Impressive table navigation features which work in Internet Explorer 5.0, Microsoft word,
PowerPoint, and other programs. There are a host of new keystrokes to identify your position
by row and column number.

Additional choices in the verbosity settings, and additions to the configuration manager

"The JAWS cursor (or Invisible Cursor) now has 3 separate levels related to where it can move
on the computer screen. In previous versions of JAWS the movement of this cursor was
restricted to either the current or parent window with focus when navigational keys were used.
Now, in addition to the previous restriction options, the JAWS cursor can also be set to move
freely throughout the entire screen area. Each time you press INSERT-R with the JAWS cursor
on, the next level of restriction is spoken and moves the status to that level.

There are a number of improvements in the way JFW handles Internet explorer. To mention just
a couple, you can choose whether you want to hear the alt-text or the text on the screen as
the primary spoken text. You can also turn off announcement of graphics that are not links.

Finally, as Dan Clark points out in his newsletter:

"On the HJ main web page (www.hj.com) we now have a new link called "What's a screen
reader?"

This link will download a multimedia presentation of JAWS for Windows. To install it, you must
have about 7MB of free hard disk space on your computer.

Save it to a temp directory and then execute the file to self-extract. You can then open the file
called JAWSUI.RM using your Real Player program."

                SIGHTED ELECTRONICS

        WinBraille, the software that automatically translates Windows or internet text into grade II
Braille and sends it to an index Braille printer is now available. Reading something you want,
click on print, click on your Braille printer and get Grade II Braille instantly. I covered this item in
my last newsletter, which you can get, from my home page. Also, you can get more information
from the Sighted Electronics home page.

        Are you better at using a Braillewriter keyboard than a QWERTY keyboard? If so, you will
love the new product from Papenmeier. Here is the information about it as shown on the
Sighted Electronics home page at www.sighted.com.

In the ergonomic software independent keyboard, most blind people use a standard QUERTY
keyboard when working with a computer. In a number of cases when it comes to editing
Braille, writing mathematics, or music Braille for example, using a Braille keyboard makes more
sense. An ergonomically designed Braille keyboard like Braille In will ease your work even
when working with long documents.

Braille In connects to your PC just like a standard keyboard. Braille In connects to the
keyboard port.
Braille In comes with your national Braille code and keyboard emulation pre-installed. If you
need a different configuration, connect the Braille keyboards configuration port to the serial
port of your PC and load the new translation table configuration into Braille In's flash-ROM.

Braille In does not require any resident software to work with your computer. It works
independently. Therefore it does not matter what type of software you use, whether it be OS2,
DOS, Windows 95,98,2000, NT, or Unix.

Braille In gives full 102 key keyboard support. Braille In can emulate all functions of your PC
keyboard; this includes key combinations with Shift, ALT, CTRL, etc. If remembering those
strange combinations becomes a problem you can plug your standard keyboard into the Braille
In and run both keyboards simultaneously.

Braille In has 8 Braille keys plus a space bar. Braille In has 10 function keys, which makes
input fast easy and accurate.

Computer Requirements PC with standard keyboard port (DIN or PS2) serial port used for
changing Braille code

Braille In includes keyboard unit with keyboard adapter software for changing Braille codes.
The manual is in print or on disk.

Techie Tidbit

Do you occasionally find yourself stumbling over a manual or other material produced in
Adobe's acrobat? There are two ways to handle this.

1.      You can download the acrobat reader and install it on your computer. It will not do the job
of accessibility alone. You then need to download the plug-in for the reader that completes the
job of accessibility. Once this is done you do get pretty good results with those .pdf files.

However, your author believes in saving time and disk space whenever possible. You can also
send that document as an attachment to [log in to unmask] Leave the subject and the
body of the message blank attach your file and most often within a couple of minutes the
translated document is back to you in text format. Try it.  You'll like it.

TALKING VCR

        In my perambulations through the tons of messages in various list-serv's I came across an
exchange of messages on talking VCRs.  Although your computer-bound scribe only uses the
television to watch the news and two Sunday morning in-depth news programs, I believe that
there is enough interest in the subject to justify an article on it.

        Being VCR knowledge deprived, I turned to my good friends Duane and Lisa Hawk who
produced the following for your consideration. Here it is:

"My husband and I recently purchased a Zenith VCR, Model number VRB421.  It is one of
their latest talking models, and it really works well.  It is really nice to be able to set a program
and know that it is actually going to record what I want it to.

All of the menus speak very well.  The only one that doesn't is the one for setting the clock.
But when a program is being set up, every number that is entered is also spoken.  And the
prompts that tell you what to enter next are also spoken.  The speech is very easily understood
by anyone."

Zenith has really improved on their talking VCR line.  It is nice to know that big companies are
trying to accommodate the Visually Impaired user.  We must all let them know how much we
appreciate this by supporting their products.

Techie Tidbit

Sure everybody knows the value of backing up data. Most of us have heard the old saw about
two types of people in the world:  Those who have lost data, and those who are about to lose
data.  But how many of us have thought about backing up our shortcuts?  Since the following
email caught my attention, I wrote to Walt Smith and got his permission to reprint it as a Techie
Tidbit.  Here it is:

"If I ever remove a shortcut from anywhere ... Desktop, Startup folder, other folder ... I always
move that shortcut to the folder where the executable file that the shortcut points to is housed.
This way, if I ever want to restore it, I don't have to try to figure out what executable was being
invoked ... this can be a very difficult task in some cases.  I can always use the Find Files
function to search on the keyword in the shortcut if I forget where I put it.  Another possibility is
to create a "Removed Shortcuts" folder and place them all there."

Thank you, Walt!

MY ONLY COMMERCIAL

Don't complain.  You knew it was going to happen sooner or later, and I did wait until you got
through all of the great information above before I did it.

So let me remind you that Young Opportunities Inc. provides computers, peripherals, and
adaptive technology at reduced prices. Our discounts on all product prices and our occasional
sales can add to your savings. In addition to other products, we carry all the products listed in
technology updates, and we invite you to call for further information.

Techie Tidbit

        You can go directly to a website by typing it at the run command. That's right! Just press
the "Windows" key for the start menu, type "r" for run and type in the URL beginning with
"www" and Internet Explorer loads and goes to the site you are seeking.  I find it faster than
opening Internet Explorer, and using the "Control-O" command from the homepage that loads
automatically.

CLOSING TIME

        Time, cost, and postage tell me that it is time to end this newsletter.  Please address any
comments to me at the address on the front page, or contact me by email at
[log in to unmask]  Also, please feel free to visit my website at: http://www.youngopp.com

Ted Young
Young Opportunities Inc.
464 Sylvania Avenue