VICUG-L Archives

VICUG-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Kelly Pierce <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Kelly Pierce <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 16 Feb 2000 20:42:32 -0600
More than 12 hours of the infamous Watergate tapes are now online.  These
tapes are of Oval Office conversations following the 1972 burglary of the
Offices of the Democratic national committee in the Watergate office,
residence, and entertainment complex in Washington.  We hear all the gems:
John Dean declares a cancer on the Presidency; richard Nixon explores a
smoking gun, and H.R. Halderman develops a cover up. There are also other
historical tapes on the site.  There are no Monica tapes <grin>

kelly

February 9, 2000

The Watergate Tapes: Nixon and Dean Online

                                                     The Associated Press

     Many people have a favorite moment from the Nixon White House
     tapes. For Jerry Goldman, a professor of political science at
     Northwestern University, it is the point at which John Dean sneaks
     up on the phrase "cancer on the presidency" in a conversation with
     President Richard M. Nixon.

     "I remember when Dean testified about having this conversation with
     the president and was not believed at the time," Dr. Goldman said.
     "But he knew about the taping at the White House and he knew that
     he could be vindicated by these tapes."

     Dr. Goldman is taking the 12 1/2 hours of White House tapes that
     were recently released by the National Archives and posting them on
     the Web site History and Politics Out Loud (www.hpol.org)
     , an online library of American political recordings. "I had to pay
     $432 to get all the tapes," Dr. Goldman said. "I thought, 'Gee,
     these belong to the American people.' "

     With the help of a RealPlayer, which can be downloaded, listeners
     can hear the original words of Mr. Nixon, Mr. Dean and Mr. Haldeman
     and follow the conversation with synchronized transcripts. The
     site, which Dr. Goldman operates in partnership with Michigan State
     University, also features recordings of Presidents Franklin D.
     Roosevelt and John F. Kennedy and the Rev. Dr. Martin Luther King
     Jr.

     Dr. Goldman began posting the Watergate tapes with the notable
     conversations about the break-in, the "smoking gun" and his
     favorite exchange between Mr. Dean and Mr. Nixon. "The quality of
     the audio is particularly crisp," Dr. Goldman said of the cancer
     conversation. "And it's really riveting."
     BRUCE HEADLAM