VICUG-L Archives

VICUG-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Travis Siegel <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Travis Siegel <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 12 Jan 2000 12:01:56 +0000
There are several publishers handling electronic books, and a few that
have been doing it for quite some time.  Spectrum press had electronic
books as early as 1992 (if I remember correctly) all of their books came
with lzh compressed files and a reader that could read the books by
uncompressing them on the fly, or you could use lzh to uncompress them
yourself, then use any file reader (such as list) ro read the books.  I
bought several of these.  There's of course gutenberg, but most folks
don't consider them a publisher though why this isn't clear to me.  peanut
press has just this month began offering some of the dell magazine titles
  (analog, Asimov's science fiction, Ellery Queen, and Alfred Hitchcock's
mystery magazine) They are in a proprietary format though, and require a
special reader to interpret  them.  I have sent a message to them about
this, but as of yet have received no reply.  Perhaps others here could
also send messages, and then maybe they will actually listen.
There's also a company called online originals who publishes original
novels in pdf format, and offers a free one each month for their readers.
I have several books from them as well.  At least pdf can be converted to
html or ascii text, which makes them readable by all.  If anyone knows of
any I missed here, feel free to let me know, I'm always interested in
electronic published books.