VICUG-L Archives

VICUG-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
"M. J. P. Senk" <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
M. J. P. Senk
Date:
Thu, 23 Dec 1999 09:55:19 -0500
This service allowed one to hear e-mail read via a speech synthesizer over
the telephone.  One could record a reply which was stored as a real audio
or wav file.  On November 1, the company could no longer provide this
service with a costly toll free number since there was no per minute
charge or advertising.

It's good to get this update and learn that folks in Boston, Chicago and
many other locations have local access numbers.

The electronic greeting cards may also be of interest.

There is a mailing list devoted to the use of Shoutmail by the blind.  It
is a good place to discuss access to their www site.  Join the Shoutit
list by writing to [log in to unmask]

--- Shoutmail Version 1.2 ---

From: Jacob Guedalia <[log in to unmask]>
Subject: New! Shoutmail.com version 1.2

I wanted to update you about recent developments and new features concerning your Shoutmail.com email-by-phone account.  We are continually expanding the service in response to user requests, new technologies and emerging trends.

Local Access Numbers: We are continuing our national rollout of local
numbers to allow you to access your email over the phone for free.  In
addition to our initial metro-area locations in New York, New Jersey and
Northern California, we have added numbers for Boston, Chicago, Washington
D.C., and the states of Washington, Maryland and Virginia.  There are now
213 local access numbers, and the number is growing all the time.  To find
the local number nearest you, visit us at www.Shoutmail.com and use the
Local Number Finder located at the bottom of the page, or go to the
Preferences Page inside your account.  Note: If you use the Local Number
Finder on the home page, it will not update the default local number that
appears at the top of your inbox.  This default number will remain in your
inbox until you use the Local Number Finder on the Preferences Page (the
default number provides you with a simple reminder, but does not limit you
to using only this number).  We are looking forward to a rapid expansion
into more and more states, in the very near future.

Wireless Email:  Shoutmail.com now offers text-based or voice email
service for new wireless Web devices, or smartphones, based on the
Wireless Application Protocol (WAP).  In a major breakthrough, Shoutmail
allows WAP-device users to record a voice reply rather than typing out
messages on miniscule keypads. Check out www.shoutmail.com for
instructions.

Email without a PC:  Now, everyone, even those without a PC, can have a
full-featured email account.  Shoutmail has made registration for its free
email-by-phone service available entirely by phone.  Shoutmail.com becomes
the first company to offer free access to the Internet without a PC or
ISP.  Anyone can easily sign-up for a free email account that is
completely accessible by phone by calling 1-877-WMYMAIL.  Tell a friend or
relative who doesn't own a PC that they can now participate in the email
revolution by joining Shoutmail.

Instant Messaging by Phone or Wireless Web Device: Under an agreement with
Valent Software Corporation, Shoutmail will soon be offering membership to
NetClubs, which enables Shoutmail users to call in from any phone, check
who is online from their "Friends" personal directory, and easily send
them an instant voice message from any telephone or cell phone.
Shoutmail will also enable NetClubs users who have wireless Web
connections via new WAP-based "smart" phones to interact with groups and
online buddies in real-time by exchanging voice and text-based instant
messages from their phones.

Free Instant Shoutmail for E-Card Holiday Greetings by Phone: Shoutmail is
providing a toll-free service for sending, from any phone, voice-annotated
electronic greeting cards for the holiday season.  Web users simply go to
http://www.shoutmail.com/cgi-bin/instant2.pl to receive a temporary access
code, which enables them to call a toll free number (1-800-713-6888) to
record a message and choose a holiday greeting e-card for Christmas,
Kwanzaa or the New Year.  For the new millennium, users will be able to
send an e-card notifying colleagues, friends and relatives that they have
survived the Y2K bug.  Shoutmail.com developed the phone-enabled e-card
with RealNetworks, Inc.

Phone-enabling the Whole World Wide Web:  Shoutmail.com is offering all
email service providers, including ISPs, portals and telcos, as well as
the corporate enterprise, a free application gateway that enables their
customers to receive and send email and instant messaging from any
wireless Web device, cell phone or ordinary telephone.  The Shoutmail
Application Gateway extends the Web browser and phone-enables any email
service for free.  Initial agreements have been reached with
MyOwnEmail.com and the Jerusalem Post. Tell your company or email service
provider to contact [log in to unmask] or call 617-713-6377 to find
out how they can phone-enable their email for free.

New Email Features: 1. In your Inbox list of email messages, you will now
notice a red dot that tells you if a message is new and unread.  2. You
can now sort your messages in your folders by date, subject or whom the
message is from, in either ascending or descending order. 3. When you
enter your mailbox by phone, Shoutmail will now inform you how many unread
messages you have in your inbox (available later this week).

I want to thank you again for joining Shoutmail and extending the reach of
the Net. I hope you are enjoying having access to your email anywhere.
These have been exciting months for Shoutmail.com, with the successful
launch and growth of our new phone-Web service.  We can only expect bigger
and better developments in the future as we continue to expand our
membership, partners, services and features.  Hang on, it should be a
great ride.

Sincerely,

Jacob Guedalia CEO, Shoutmail.com