VICUG-L Archives

VICUG-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
"jhomme.." <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
jhomme..
Date:
Mon, 27 Sep 1999 07:39:14 -0400
Hi Jerry,
I really like Notetab from http://www.notetab.com. It's a text editor, so
everything is in plain text. It has more features than I can write about
quickly. You can type your plain text document in and pick a menu choice
to have it automatically turned into HTML. It has template files. This
means that you can set up the basic structure of a page and not have to
type it back in. It has favorites, which means you can keep a list of
files you wre working on in a group. You can set up two web browsers to
view your work in. There's a spell checker and thesaurus. You can make
what it calls outline documents, which can be automatically turned into
HTML documents complete with a table of contents at the top with return to
top of page links at the end of each topic. There's a table wizzard that
asks you how many rows and columns you want in your table, then
automatically fills in the HTML for you. All you have to do is fill in the
text. If you don't like the HTML it generates, everything is in plain
text; all you have to do is type in the code you want it to generate and
from there on out, it generates the code you want it to. You can use it to
automatically launch any program, so if you write Perl or Gawk, or have
any
other command line  compiler, you can set it up so it can compile the
document you are working on. It can write and read EBCDIC, UNIX, DOS
ASCII, ANSI and write them back out. It has a clip programming language
that's full-featured enough to control every aspect of the program. You
can create keyboard macros that can be made to execute any command. The
beauty of it for us is that everything, every customization, every command
is in plain text. I have JFW scripts for the latest version, which is
version 4.6. There are three versions of the program. I recommend the pro
version. I think it's only $19.95. I bought it when it was $9.95 at
version 4.0, and there have been free upgrades the whole way along, so
far. I haven't even gotten into doing everything you can do with it, nor
have I gone much below the surface of all its features. I really love it,
and I know you will be happy with it.
Jim