VICUG-L Archives

VICUG-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Kelly Pierce <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Kelly Pierce <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 26 Jun 1999 12:06:34 -0500
On Thu, 24 Jun 1999, Chaim Segal wrote:

> I finally tracked down the number of the main office in charge of relay in
> this area.  It happened to be a division of AT&T.  When I called and asked
> if they had any employment opportunities, the woman on the other end was
> extremely irrate.  She did not just leave it at "No, I'm sorry we don't",
> she went on to yell that positions would be advertised or made known if they
> existed  Her demeanor caused me to leave AT&T. for a second time.  I am
> sorry that relay service is in the hands of people with such a misserable
> attitude.

AT&T is a quite different company now than a few years ago.  It no longer
makes telephone equipment.  It is also one of the nation's largest cable
television operators.  Management is distracted digesting all these
acquisitions and as you have discovered that service has suffered.  Many
have complained and the agency that operates the relay system in Illinois
is taking all of this into consideration in deciding whether to renew
with AT&t or switch to another vendor when the contract expires next year.

> If I had the cance, I would love to have the opportunity to work for Relay.
> I've had calls from deaf individuals relayed on to me both at a job at Pizza
> Hut in Dayton and from a local friend here in Chicago.  Such a job would
> enhance my phone and people skills, and happens to be the type of work I am
> looking for.

Relay service in Illinois used to be handled from the At&T building on the
near north side in Chicago.  After the ADA took effect, relay service went
national and AT&T moved operations out of state to a central call center
in Virginia.

kelly