VICUG-L Archives

VICUG-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Peter Seymour <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Peter Seymour <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 11 Apr 1999 02:31:25 -0400
I was impressed with the below op ed for several personal reasons. The
author mentioned the blind person's need to redefine the relationship of
his body to his surroundings, to find a new self-definition and new means
of expression.

These factors are the most important aspect of blindness in my life. My
screenplay, Blind-Sided, which is currently in search of an agent, is
about the above issues, and deliberately glides over issues of mobility,
reading, and the medical particulars. They are perhaps exotic to
outsiders, but they are not interesting to me. Likewise, the issues of
psychologically adjusting to the trauma of blindness may be uninteresting
to a person who was born blind, to whom blindness is not associated with
loss.

I am interested in creating a website that centers on the issues that
emmerge from being blind-sided in early adulthood. There are many
important issues that pertain only to this group and they are neglected,
or maybe I should say, I have not met, in 15 years, a blind person who
wants to talk about them.

If anybody on this list wants to be part of such a group, please email me
at [log in to unmask]

If anybody knows how I can reach the author of the below article, please
contact me with that info.

Thanks.

Peter Seymour