VICUG-L Archives

VICUG-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Dan Rossi <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 24 Aug 1998 10:46:12 -0400
The technology more or less exists for a reading identifier.  For one, if
you really wanted to try and read a computer screen you could use an
Optacon.  I know several people who have done this pretty successfully.

The technology for talking signs has been around for years.  However, that
is not as simple as something that you would just point at a sign.
Talking signs would need the sign to be active as apposed to just sitting
there being a sign.  However, I did use some pretty neat bar code
technology while working in robotics.  If we could get signs printed with
some bar code info on them you could point a laser bar code reader at them
and get the info.  The hard part would be pointing at the right place.
You don't have to be close to the sign, but you do have to point at the
bar code.

The sattelite technology that you mentioned does exist.  I've never used
the product, Strider, but I'd love to give it a whirl sometime.  It
combinds computerized maps with a sattelite global positioning system to
help locate where you are and give you directions on where you are going.
It's still a bit cumbersome at the moment, but one day, not to long from
now, we should be able to cram it into something about the size of a hand
held radio.  Actually, that tech already exists.  I guess the next step
will be to get it into a wrist watch.

Later Days.

Dan

-----