From:
Bob Wright <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 28 Jul 1999 14:45:12 -0600
At 09:37 AM 7/27/99 , Louis Smogor wrote:
>Hi -
>
>A friend's teenage son decided to install new memory amd a modem into his
>family's P75, Win95 machine (good).  The memory is OK, but when he got the
>"Windows has detected new hardware" on bootup, he decided to to the rest
>manually (bad, since he didn't really know what he was doing).
>
>As a result, the cd drive identifies all cdroms as being audio cds, which
>makes it difficult to use the software included with the modem on cd, and
>impossible to use the win95 cd to reinstall the cd drive (it is, obviously,
>an older machine and the cab files aren't on the hd).

As I see it, you have a few options.

1) Boot from a floppy disk that includes CD rom drivers, (you can find
     the Universal CD drivers on our Web files page), and reinstall Win95...
     The instructions to use this driver is in the file:  CDDRIVER.ZIP
     The file you need is:  Universal CD Rom Driver
       http://nospin.com/pc/files.html

2) You can copy the above Universal CD driver to the C: drive.  Then follow
      the instructions in the file to add the Universal CD driver to the system
      in the C: drivers Config.sys and Autoexec.bat files.  This will load the CD
      driver before Windows loads and you should be able to use the CD rom
      drive for data.

3) Delete both the modem driver and CD rom driver in your Control Panel/
     System/Device Driver area.  Then reboot the system, it should reinstall
     the CD rom and modem for you.

If this does not work, then try working backward.  Remove the Modem
from the computer, after deleting the driver for it.  Try rebooting and see
if the CD rom drive will not work properly.  Then, you should be able
to install the Modem properly.

The worse case on this is to remove the modem, delete the registry files,
(USER.DAT and SYSTEM.DAT), then reinstall Windows95.  This is
the scorched earth approach, as you will probably need to reinstall all
their programs after Windows is installed.   Try everything else first, this
is always the last option.

                 Bob Wright
        The NOSPIN Group, Inc
http://nospin.com - http://nospin.org