From:
Brad Boutwell <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 22 Jul 1999 07:59:30 -0500
On the lower end, you would have to choose between an AMD processor of an
Intel Celeron.  I prefer to stick with Intel products myself, although they
do cost a bit more (there sre those who will argue me down on this, but I
still like the Intel's).  You can get an AMD K6-2 350 mHz cpu (I assuming
you are building this, as your previous e-mail stated) for less than $40.
If you choose the Intel route, you can pick up a 366 mHx Celeron for around
$75.  (See http://www.sharkyextreme.com/hardware/weekly_cpu/) You
motherboards are going to be about the same in cost for either cpu, just get
a quality one (Asus, Abit, Intel, Aopen, Epox are all quality brands...),
you don't want a cheap motherboard.

As for the other components, (assuming you are still going on the low-cost
route): you can safely figure:

64 MB RAM = $75 (Type will depend on the cpu you chooese, but this is an
average price)
video card = $20-$40 (cheap is okay here unless you get a large monitor or
games are a factor)
Sound Card = $40 (cheap is okay)
Hard Drive = $150 (you can get a 6-9 GB for this price if you look around)
Mouse = $30 (I prefer quality mice/keyboards, go for Logiteck or Microsoft)
Keyboard = $30
Monitor = varies way to much to average.  Buy htis locally, and avoid the
shipping charges.
Case = $50 - $75 (Get a good case, it can be re-used for years...)

All these prices are based on web-purchasing.  Retail will be MUCH higher.
A good place to start would be www.buycomp.com or www.pricewatch.com

I order a LOT of my components form www.mwave.com and have been VERY pleased
with their pricing/service/speed

Brad Boutwell
Tulsa, OK

Pentium 200 or better
64 MB RAM
Win 95/98/NT
500 MB free hard drive space
Virus protection software
10BaseT network card (either Intel Ether Express or 3 Com Ethernet card)

...I am leaning toward to lower cost approach...