From:
Frank Suszka <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 21 Jul 1999 09:18:05 -0700
On 07.21.99 Eric Wertman wrote:

These specific drivers are for Crystal Sound PCI chipset on the
motherboard (Intel Seattle SE440BX).
They are not really causing me any problems, but I have to have them
disabled as I use a Soundblaster Live as my sound device, and the
game/midi port conflicts with an installed joystick. So, Is there a
better way around this, and for future reference, when updating any
other drivers, what is the best method to use? Thanks.

I have the same board and experienced the same problem. What I did to
correct the situation was to disable the Crystal Sound in the setup. I
did this by rebooting my machine and when the "Intel Splash Screen came
up I depressed the F2 key. From there I noticed and wrote done the BIOS
version and clicked over to "Advanced" "Peripheral Configuration" looked
for the Audio and disabled it. If you don't have any USB goodies,
disable that as well. Windows 9x will love you for it.

As for the Sound Card, I found problems with that and a USB Modem. When
both were plugged in, the modem would freeze and wouldn't work. The
modem by itself was no problem as was the card.

After searching for several days, contacting all the hardware people I
received a tip from Creative that led to the solution of correcting the
conflict.

It was simple. There was a glitch in the BIOS and all I had to do was
flash the older setup and today I haven't experienced that problem. If
you are interested and feel capable of tackling the task, you may find
the update at,
http://developer.intel.com/design/motherbd/genbios.htm.

Do not use the SE440BX-2........<smile> It won't work.

I hope this will help you to resolve the hardware conflict.

Sincerely,

Frank Suszka

                  Visit our website regularly for FAQs,
                  http://nospin.com - http://nospin.org