From:
Bob Wright <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 3 May 1999 07:55:46 +0000
At 02:09 AM 5/3/99 , you wrote:
>I have recently ran onto a couple of floppy drives in which the #1 pin was
>not next to the power connection, but I can't remember the brand. If you
>plug it in backwards, the light will come on  on the drive and stay on. It
>won't hurt anything  (I've heard it will ruin a disk if you have one in),
>just power down and reverse the ribbon cable.
>ed thomasson
>> Bob
>>
>> At 09:58 PM 5/1/99 , you wrote:
>> >I'm building a new system using a Mitsumi D359M3 3.5" FDD.  Looking a the
>> >back of the drive, I can only find the number "2" on the PCB at the left

We have recently used Mitsumi floppy drives a great deal, as they save
us $4.00 a unit.   We still use Teac and Sony, but often saving every penny
makes the difference on a new system.

Teac and Sony have pin #1 on the connector adjacent to the power connector,
where Mitsumi drives are reversed, with pin #1 on the far side away from the
power connector.  (The stripe on the ribbon cable goes to pin #1).

It does not make sense that they have reversed a long held hardware pinout
used by most of the other manufacturers, but that is what we have found.

                Bob Wright
       The NOSPIN Group, Inc
http://nospin.com - http://nospin.org

                     http://nospin.com/pc/files.html