From:
Ingrid Bauer <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 28 Jun 1999 00:36:53 -0700
>Could you tell me more about ageing meat. Do you just put it in the
>refrigerator and wait or is there some special technique? Are you
>supposed to wrap it in cheese ( pardon my language ) cloth.
>Is there any information on the web about ageing meat. I usually buy the
>oldest looking steak, one that has started to turn dark in the store.
>They are the tastiest. Do you age chicken, pork, fish etc.?

I just hang the meat in the fridge so air is circulating around. I use
screen only when i am hanging outside to keep fly away. Lately in my fridge
i got strange looking smelly things (in the opinion of other members of my
family) like robin, shrimp , salmon or even snake. So i don't limit myself
to anything that could be aged. I don't eat pork,chicken because i am not
able to find animals raised with their original food .
I observed that i don't have as much  bad reaction  ( mostly sweat and bad
taste) with aged (to the point of being almost dry) commercial beef  as with
the same piece eaten fresh. So i do sometimes too get cheap out of date
pieces when the top quality that i want is unavailable.
jean-claude