Date:
Fri, 25 Jun 1999 23:01:37 GMT
> "S.B. Feldman" <[log in to unmask]>
>Invoking the French-wine-fat arguments is
>worthless because all of that is under renewed scrutiny {THE MOST CURRENT
>THINKING IS THAT THE SEVERE POVERTY AND MALNUTRITION AFTER THE
>FRANCO_PRUSSIAN WAR RESULTED IN INSTITUTING MEANINGFUL SUPPLEMENTATION TO
>YOUNGSTERS IN SCHOOL AND CHILDBEARING WOMEN AND THAT THIS IS STILL BEING
>ENJOYED IN LESS HEART DISEASE DUE TO HEALTHIER IN_UTERO AND POST_NATAL
>GROWTH} ;

Really! Maybe shouting about it makes it true? As in all discussions,
when a contributer has to raise his/her voice, he/she has already
lost the argument.

> thinking that sugar and starch are turned to alcohol in the gut
>really comes from outer left field;

I have seen anecdotal accounts of this, nevertheless.
Maybe a gastroenterologist would care to comment: is there
indeed a spot in the gut where yeasts do live anaerobically,
produce ethanol and possibly have it absorbed?

Wouldn't be hard to check, say with radiocarbon-labeled
sugars and blood assays. I know of at least one subject
([log in to unmask]) who'd love to volunteer, all in the
spirit of non-junk science of course.

>You do not really need any
>justification at all to  abstain. Combining junk science and unrelated
>fragments of information does not strengthen   a conviction but seems to give
>it an unrelible foundation.

Presenting some speculation (FRANCO_PRUSSIAN WAR above) as fact
is as junky if not junkier than what I wrote. As for "unrelated"
maybe you can explain to Ray that his Paleolithic Diet synthesis
was merely pulling together unrelated facts & theories, and therefore
irrelevant, immaterial and incompetent (thank you Mr. Berger).

>The label of Paleo or not is determined only by
>Mr. Audette, by definition.

Last I looked, the Paleo community does not bow to Ray as some kind
of cult leader -- a position it's unlikely he would occupy.
Though its's very telling that you defer to him in that way.

No Paleo eater waits for Ray's latest pronouncements on what's
Paleo-kosher (he's apparently Christian, besides ;-b ), or shops the
the market for Audette-approved Paleo-Bars (TM). One has to go
join the Atkins or Weight Watchers crowd for that noise.

So the his-word-is-final argument goes down in flames too.

Speaking of flames, it's time to end this lame thread.
This is a Paleodiet support list, and drinking alcohol
is unsupportable. And if you want to make Ray=God, then He
has spoken, and has commanded that Alcohol Is Off The Menu.

To reiterate: Drink all you want, but don't claim to be Paleo.