From:
Aaron Wieland <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 23 Jun 1999 22:46:08 -0400
Ben Balzer wrote:
> Excess sodium intake leads to increased calcium excretion in urine! See " A
> Salty Tale" http://www.monash.edu.au/ANF/newsletter/Feb-98/index.htm No
> wonder osteoporosis is so common and recommended calcium intakes are so
> ludicrously high.

On the other hand, sodium may act as a buffer against calcium loss:

"In a clinical study involving 100 patients, researchers found that a
high protein intake (30 grams/day) produces acidic urine. They also
found that the body, in its attempt to neutralize the acid environment
created by the protein, first depleted sodium reserves. It then used
ammonia as a neutralizing agent followed by calcium, presumably pulled
from the bones." (from
<http://www.energymedicineonline.com/news/latest/numedicine.html>)

> I know that some folks estimate the original paleodiet has
> humungous amounts of calcium, but I wonder if they've cooked the figure a
> bit to meet the "recommended level"

Bones and bone marrow provide *a lot* of calcium, much more than you can
get from vegetables.

Cheers,
-- Aaron Wieland