From:
Ingrid Bauer <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 1 Jun 1999 15:17:40 -0700
>jean-claude
>>The choice for me is : do i let agrobusiness decide what i should eat or
do
>>i take care of myself and others by striving at reestablishing ecosystems
>>that can really sustain us.

:ken

>" What if the healthiest way to eat was promoted by agribusiness? "
>
>"  What if the healthiest way to eat was ecologically unsound? "

This  kind of questions arise from a place where one see oneself separated
from one's environment.
this dichotonie is at the source of the creation of agribusiness where a
bunch of folks become responsible for feeding a growing part of the
population   who are getting less and less in touch with their food source.
Today a friend of mine at the organic market was telling me that a customer
ask him if he had melons (he grow good melons and that person might have
remember that from last season), he was laughing about having to explain to
that person that he didn't sow them yet and that he will have to wait the
end of august.... and we live in a rural island so what about peoples in the
cities?)
>A healthy diet implied an healthy environment , there is no way out in my
mind.

>This one is more plausible (since we know that certain sections of
agribusiness
>do promote high carbohydrate consumption, eg the grain producers) and has
been
>debated in this list before.    Certainly most vegans *think* they are
following

>the most ecologically sound way of eating.

I know , lot of propaganda have been distributed to say that a vegan diet
was more environmently friendly than a meat diet . It seems to me that
animals grazing on grass land is contributing to a more balanced ecosystem
than a field of grain weeded out of other plants.
( the more diverse the components of an ecosystem is , and the more
productive it is at creating topsoil)

>I'd have to say IF the healthiest way to eat was ecologically unsound, that
>would nevertheless continue to eat in the most healthy way, until such
point as
>the healthiest way to eat was recognized by the majority, at which point I
would
>be inclined to go along with whatever community solution was proposed to
deal
>with that situation.

For sure by choosing an healthy diet you have a huge impact on changing the
actual unhealthy practices of agriculture.
My post was not directed at changing the system  out there but to put the
focus on our present unhealthy RELATIONSHIP to our environment.and to help
at redefining our place in this environment.
IMO what makes us unhealthy is the lost of contact with our food sources
more than either it is grain or meats. what make the hunter gatherers
healthier than agriculturists in general is that this life style require a
more complex web of connections with other living being .
Peoples busy in thir field loose sowly contact with the rest of the world
and even start to see it as the ennemy. Concretly an agriculturist will have
a narrower range of species as food than an H.G.

>In the meanwhile, so few people are eating in a heathy way that it is only
an
>academic point....

If you see my point as academic , you must have not got it. or i don't get
yours
Because my message is ; lets find practical way of becoming again
RESPONSIBLE for our food choice and intake. Now we put all our power in few
hands and it is scary where it is bringing us ( genetically engineered
foods, patented hybrid seeds, chemically dependant crops and animals ,
tasteless and demineralised food, more and more processing to help us to
swallow the empiness of our food.....)
>--
jean-claude