From:
Lady Ariel <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 19 Feb 1999 09:23:04 -0600
On Thu, 18 Feb 1999, Aaron D. Wieland wrote:

> The constipation is probably caused by allergies, rather than a lack of
> fiber.  Since the paleo-diet avoids many common food allergens, you may
> notice an improvement.
Hrm...Interesting...I'll give no wheat a try again....it certainly can't
hurt.  The other noticable thing that happens to me when I eat wheat is
that I'm normally freezing cold...if I actually stick to a wheat free
diet for about a week...I warm up so so much.  Even my husband tend to
notice.

> Wheat is the number one food allergen in North America.  Are you really
> allergic to *all* fish, or just certain species?  Allergies to cod, trout,
> and mackerel, for example, are fairly rare [but cod is gross, in my opinion,
> so I can understand why you might avoid it regardless ;-)].
Well...I quite possibly buy the wrong kind of fish or something too.  I'm
not sure about *all* fish...I think I can eat shrimp and be ok.   I know
that I bought some kind of gortons fish things that were not breaded last
fall.  And I had to take a benadryl after eating it because I couldn't
breathe well.  I'm sure staying away from any hugely processed fish is a
real good idea.

I just tend to avoid all fish since I don't know what sets me off and what
doesn't.  The whole wheat issue is a little more elusive because I've
never had any really scary reaction from eating it.  I can eat that big
muffin or whatever and still breathe fine...so the reactions I get tend to
build up over time and then by the time they're in full force and I'm
freezing cold all the time I don't usually know why or think it's the
wheat.

Wheat seems like it's allergic reactions HAVE to be more elusive than
other allergens.  I mean wheat is in almost *everything* if it comes
in any kind of package, or is processed in any way...it most likely has
wheat.  So, look at the sheer numbers of people who are allergic and must
not know it.  I had a friend in college who had all the tests and he'd
go to a restaurant and say, "I'm allergic to wheat."  And every single
time the waitperson would get a funny look and say, "unbelievebable...I've
never heard of such a thing."