From:
Todd Moody <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 27 Feb 1998 08:24:55 -0500
On Fri, 27 Feb 1998, Ray Audette wrote:

> The low-fat, low-calorie diet was originated by Dr. John H. Kellogg whose
> medical education and clinic in Battle Creek, MI were financed by Sister
> Mary White (founder of the Church of Seventh Day Adventists) to promote
> vegetarianism. This religious agenda is much more dificult to overcome
> than any scientific data in promoting a paleodiet book!

That's Sister *Ellen* White.  It is also true that Dr. Kellogg
was kicked out of the SDA church for daring to question the
authenticity of some of Sister White's personal revelations.

It's also worth noting that Kellogg lived about as long as
Vilhjalmur Stefansson, and didn't suffer any strokes either.  His
recommended diet was low-fat, but hardly low-calorie.
Seventh-Day Adventists, as a group, have the lowest rates of
heart disease of any population in the U.S.  Although I doubt
very much that vegetarianism is the key to their health, it also
seems plausible to conclude that their vegetarianism cannot be
hurting them too much, since it does not seem to undermine their
other healthy ways of living.

In fact, the Adventists have done their own studies and, with
surprising candor, reached the conclusion that the single most
important protective lifestyle factor was not vegetarianism but
consumption of nuts, with the main source of "nuts" turning out
to be peanuts.

Todd Moody