From:
Todd Moody <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 22 May 1997 23:53:05 -0400
Well, I made some pemmican.  I bought one of those Mr. Coffee
dehydrators, a three pound bottom round roast, and a half pound
of suet (Ray's recipe in NeanderThin, halved).  The drying took
about seven hours.  For the heck of it, I sliced and dried a kiwi
fruit too.

The food processor ground up the dried meat nicely, and I threw
in the kiwi and a handful of slivered raw almonds, just because I
can never follow a recipe without improvising.

Ray says to "render the suet twice."  I'm not sure what that
means, but I cut the suet into pieces and cooked them until they
were little nuggets, then let the fat cool and repeated the
process.

I then poured the hot fat into the ground up meat, nuts and kiwi
bits.  The result was something rather wet and gritty, but not
liquid.  Ray says to "pour" this into cupcake molds, but there
was no pouring this stuff.  I had to spoon it in and tamp it
down.  Not enough suet, maybe.

So, how does it taste?  Don't know yet, but I have one beside me,
all cooled and ready.  So, excuse me...

The consistency is crumbly, not cake-like at all.  The taste is
not bad.  The general effect is something like bacon bits, and
the little bits of kiwi come right through.

Should I render some more suet and add fat to these?

Todd Moody