From:
"John C. Pavao" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 2 Sep 1997 08:09:12 -0400
Well, the food industry is pushing for it, so that scares me right there.
 If it were proven that it does not harm the nutrients, I would welcome the
opportunity to finally eat raw meat (I've also read alot lately about how
plain old cooking destroys the value of meat).  However, one only has to
see pictures of survivors of nuclear weapons to know that SOMETHING in the
flesh is being destroyed by radiation.  What would worry me most would be
unexpected molecules left by the damage.  The body would seemingly not be
prepared for these, and so we would be opening yet another can of dietary
worms.

My $0.02.  Can anybody tell me I'm way off base?  Personally, I'd be glad
if I was.

John Pavao

"Irradiation may zap food safety problems" in an article at:
http://cnn.com/HEALTH/9708/31/health.irradiation.reut/

The article claims some institutions are purchasing irradiated food and
that "Apollo 17 astronauts ate radiation-sterilized ham on the moon."

But there is also claims that it wrecks nutrients in the food, alters
taste and there are worker safety issues.

So, would irradiated beef actually be a wise NeanderThin choice?