CHOMSKY Archives

CHOMSKY@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

Date:
Fri, 4 Jun 1999 16:14:02 -0400
> Why don't you do a little review of that book for the list.

Uh..well i havent finished it yet, maybe later.  Did anyonehere know that FORTUNE
magazine dedicated an issue
to facist italy in 1934, about what a great country it was
and how amazing it was that it was "working well" during
the depression?  Also, there were several quotes of
important americans saying mussolini was a "fine chap"
and how the general idea was that he was a moderate,
and someone who wouldn't go too far left or right.  Oh yeah
and italy was widely applauded for keeping back the
communist threat.

> I bought and AK press cd of a speech he made at MIT, "Class War." I found it
> to be very good even though I never thought of him as a great speaker. He had
> a lot to say in an hour's time. In particular, one thing he described was how
> the labor movement was taken apart in the US after WWII, how a very energetic
> propaganda campaign demonized unions. He's amusng in spots as well.

Yes he is sarcastic in a quiet way a lot of the time.  For example in
deterring democracy he was talking about the cold war..

    Given that "the integrity and vitality of our system is in greater
    jeapordy than ever before in our history," even in the darkest days
    of the War of Independance or when British troops captured
    Washington in 1814, [...]

That one made me chuckle..mabye you need the entire paragraph before
it to really understand it, but..

Dan Carkner