CHOMSKY Archives

CHOMSKY@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
"C. G. Estabrook" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 3 Jun 1999 09:01:28 -0500
On Thu, 3 Jun 1999, Craig Siviour 9950 1892 wrote:

> In the article "The Current Bombings:Behind the Rhetoric" by Noam
> Chomsky, which is on the ZNet KOSOVO/NATO page, Chomsky quotes Gen.
> Wesley Clarke as saying that "Commanding General Wesley Clark declared
> that it was "entirely predictable" that Serbian terror and violence
> would intensify after the NATO bombing..."  Can anyone please tell me
> what is the exact source of this quote. I would like to read General
> Clark's comments for myself in the source document, be it the New York
> Times or a NATO press release whatever.  Actually any quotes from NATO
> or US Foreign Policy sources which demonstrate a prior knowledge that
> withdrawal of OSCE-KVM and/or NATO/US bombing would worsen the
> humanitarian situation in the FRY would be well received...

*New York Times* 3/27/99, p. A5, continuation of lead article:  "He [Gen.
Wesley Clark] said it was `entirely predictable' that the Serbian campaign
against villages would intensify with the NATO assault."

*Washington Post* 4/1/99, front page:  "The warnings were there for
President Clinton. For weeks before the NATO air campaign against
Yugoslavia, sources said, CIA Director George J. Tenet had been
forecasting that Serb-led Yugoslavia forces might respond by accelerating
their campaign of ethnic cleansing in the province of Kosovo --- precisely
the outcome that has unfolded over the past week. All during this time, US
military leaders were offering Clinton a corresponding assessment of their
own. ~~ But in the face of this advice ... Clinton and his senior White
House advisers pressed on with their planning for an air campaign."

*U.S. News & World Report* cover story 4/12/99, "Heartbreak in the
Balkans," by Brian Duffy:  "... In analyzing military action before it was
approved, the Joint Chiefs of Staff advised President Clinton that a
bombing campaign would not stop ethnic cleansing in Kosovo and could wind
up rallying Serbs around President Slobodan Milosevic. 'If we bomb,' said
a senior military officer, recalling the deliberations, 'we will eliminate
Milosevic's domestic opposition, and he will become a hero. He will go
into Kosovo and slaughter thousands of Kosovar Albanians and create
thousands of refugees. Air power or bombing cannot stop any of those
things.' Despite such warnings, and others from the CIA saying bombing
would lead Serbian forces to step up their ethnic cleansing in Kosovo, the
president and his aides decided to go ahead."

        --C. G. Estabrook