CHOMSKY Archives

CHOMSKY@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Frank Scott <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 6 Apr 1999 15:41:43 -0700
Among the interesting posts here, there are too may addressed to specific
people, with quotes and answers to quotes that can get too personal and
also run the risk of becoming confusing and perhaps missing very important
points the writers are making...or trying to make. With that hopefully
constructive criticism made, there is no guarantee that someone won't feel
personally trashed by what I just said, but what the hell...More
important:

On the matter of the current buzzword- genocide - I agree with those who
say killing, murder and dreadful situations should not be dubbed with that
term, though I offer here a rebellion against all these categories of
murder, which serve to civilize, in some warped and degenerate fashion,
acts of bestiality that are rationalized by language. Like an act of
civilized filth and depravity called the Geneva Convention. Am I
over-stating my case? Try this...

How would you prefer being murdered...rounded up and put in a camp and
shot-gassed-beaten in a group? Or left in your home and having bombs fall
on your head and being killed in a group? According to our rules-laws of
civility in murder, the first was a no-no, but the second is
okay...IF....the bomb falls out of a plane or is in the nose-cone of a
missile that is aimed or dropped by a sanctioned governmental body. If the
bomb or missile is from an unsanctioned group-terrorists-then it's back to
being a no-no.

It is sad and sometimes worse to see people in droves having been driven
out of their homes, whether by our bombs or their troops, but all this
namecalling, labeling crap is just that, in the final picture ( if not
solution). We had better confront the whole notion of making war and
rationalizing forms of mass murder-if we fancy ourselves wanting to really
bring about change - before we simply become another group dubbing as "war
criminals" those who do the same corrupt, debased murderous things we do.

Finally, please, in response, if any, don't give me that tired Hitler
crap, since what I'm trying to address here existed before he came along,
and will go on as long as we accept it. One of the ways to stop accepting
it is to stop allowing ourselves to see all these gradations in murder.
It's sickening and it has to stop.....no?

frank scott