Condense Mail Headers

Sender:
Date:
Sat, 24 Jul 1999 09:16:37 +0300
7BIT
On 24 Jul 99, at 0:15, Max Timchenko <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

>   The topic you want to discuss is one where anyone has its own
>   opinion, so you should select whatever you find works best for you.
>   Modern tools, like Partition Magic, allow you to make changes without
>   erasing the data. more comments below...

The idea of using a dedicated drive for swap files is not mine. In Linux it is
strongly recommended to use a dedicated drive for swap files although it is
not a must. It is claimed that this is important for stability.

One advantage of using this, is that the space is kept unfragmented, for the
swapping, and that you won't reach a temporary situation where there is not
enough space for the swapping (a typical cause of system instability).

I guess that I can get the same effect by defining the minimum size of the
swap file to be equal to the maximum size of the swap file, but I never saw
any such settings on Win9x.

> UP> I thought of putting the basic Win98 installation, and the temporary
> UP> directory on drive C: (say, 1Gb), and not to use it for anything else.
> UP> I would consider a second 1Gb logical drive for the swap files and for
> UP> temporary usage for CD burning (this temporary usage is limited by
> UP> nature to 750Mb). Should I seperate also these two?
>
> I'd say even less. I
> remember that max. CD_ROM size is about 660M. I don't think you should
> make a special disk for this. A dedicated directory on one of the larger
> drives will do.

A typical CD can hold up to 650Mb, but when the files are on the disk, they
take up more space. Two reasons:
a - due to block size: on the disk, files take integer number of blocks, and
thus they take up a bit more space than their real size. As far as I know, on
CDs they take exactly the right space.

b - due to different formats, e.g. wav format on the disk, will be translated on
the fly to CDDA on the CD, which takes less space.

I my experience 750Mb on the HD should suffice.

It is better to do defragmentation of the block you wish to burn before doing
it. If you use a dedicated logical drive, for this thing, the non-fragmentation is
automatically guaranteed.

Uzi

                    Digest mode - visit our web site:
                    http://nospin.com/pc/pcbuild.html