Condense Mail Headers

Sender:
From:
Gary Ditta <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 10 Sep 1997 19:42:25 -0700
>I can't emphasize enough that if a person is troubled by caries or
>periodontal disease, if the plaque is properly removed every day, the
>degeneration of the person's dentition will stop.

Your answers make sense, though I still don't buy the idea that the lack of
caries in pre-agricultural man was because of lots of rough, fibrous
material in their diet. Seems more likely that it had to be due to a
relative absence of simple/starchy carbohydrates. The Eskimos are an
example of a people that had near perfect dentition without any significant
amount of roughage, and conversely, the anthopological record (according to
Stefansson) clearly shows a strong correlation between degree of
carbohydrate consumption (particularly grains) and degree of tooth decay
among different peoples.

Let me ask you something about this roughage business. How effectively do
you think that you personally could keep the plaque off your teeth simply
by eating "rough" foods? Seems to me like this is one of those things
that's easier said than done.

Gary