Condense Mail Headers

Sender:
Date:
Wed, 30 Jul 1997 23:06:02 -0700
7bit
From:
Ray Audette <[log in to unmask]>
Paleo-man didn't measure anything.  As the perigrines (most widely
distributed) of the primates, we can adapt to a wide range of meat to
vegetable ratios.  The only consideration was what was available and
tasty.

Availability was largely determined by season.  In the winter or dry
season, fruits and vegetable consumption are limited in most parts of the
world.  Meat also tend to be fatter in fall and early winter as animals
prepare for the times of scarce foraging.  In spring and summer, high
carb fruits and vegetables help animals and people put on fat in
anticipation of winter and eat lean meat without "rabbit starvation".

Taste depends on what you are accustomed to by experence, culture and to
some extent in humans, gender.  Humans are unique in the way males and
females difer in acquiring food.  Differences in both our anatomy and
behavior dictate that generally males hunt and females gather.  The
inateness of this can be seen by taking two todlers to a pile of rocks.
The little boys will start throwing them and the girl will start
collecting them.  The "caveman comedian" Rob Becker, does an excelent
show on these differences as does the "Men are from Mars, Women are from
Venus" guy.

Women on NeanderThin tend to eat far more fruits, vegetables and nuts
than men.  Men usually eat far more meat and fat than women.  These
different preferences served to motivate humans to get up and go to work
every day even if food of the other type was available.  The desire to
share with our partners (that aspect of human love that results in diner
dates) insures that both males and females get both meat and vegetables
on a regular basis.

For these reasons, men who chose their own meals tend to lose weight
faster than women who have absolute control over their own food choices.
Left to their own devices, many men will give up vegetable food
altogether.  My friend Dave (aka Bubba the Hut)went "Stefansson" eight
month ago (when his wife left him)and has lost 130 lbs.(of 375) eating
nothing but several pounds of meat and fat per day. Some women have
actually gained a few pounds eating paleo in a near vegetarian
mode(although most of them stayed with it because of improvements in
health).

These differences were only made apparent to me by reader feedback.
Until the book was published, the only "NeanderThins" I knew were Troy (a
batchelor) and my wife (who doesn't shop for or prepare food).  I plan to
address these issues more thoroughly in the 4th edition.  This aditional
material will be made available to members of this list (an on-line
upgrade) who have the current or earlier editions.

Ray Audette
Author "NeanderThin:A Caveman's Guide to Nutrition"