From:
Escuela de Secretariado Internacional <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 7 Jun 1999 18:28:49 +0100

The chicken ran alongside the car at an amazing 30 k.p.h. I turned off
the country road and followed it up a dirt lane where it disappeared
into a tumbledown shack with a hand-painted sign proclaiming "San
Andres Poultry Farm". The man in the straw hat said "Yes. They do run
pretty fast. They're GM chicken with three legs." "That must be good
business," I commented. "Dunno," was his answer, "Haven't managed to
catch one yet."

I'm glad about all the posts I'm reading now. The story about sums
it up: what looks like a good idea may be hard to pin down, especially
when, as in the case of GM foods, there are so many unforeseen
variables.

Who benefits from it all? Pea-brained boffins in their little white
lab-coats looking for academic glory and a Nobel. The cool sleek
agribusinessmen. The eloquent politicians, lobbiable and payoffable
today, champions of the countercause tomorrow.

We've seen it all before, but not with this potential. What can one
do? Stop buying the stuff? Impossible - you can't tell what is and
what isn't. Hurt `em economically otherwise? Doubtful - your
pension scheme is probably bolstering their shares on Wall Street and
your taxes financing the research labs. Dine off your windowbox? -
probably illegal.

All we can do is make as much noise as possible ... and cross your
fingers and pray your kids don't develop atrophied livers as well from
eating crisps made from GM blight-resistant potatoes.

Martin Harris