From:
Kathy Burke <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 3 Apr 1999 09:59:31 -0800

Dear list members-

It seems as though most folks on this list recover rapidly after taking on
the GF diet.  I don't seem to be in that group and I was wondering if there
are any others out there whose recovery was more complicated.

I was biopsy-diagnosed with CD this past January, several weeks after having
blood tests indicating CD and going GF.  The doctor was surprised I had been
GF for almost four weeks because the damage was pretty severe.  Last Monday
I had a bone scan and I was told I have negatives that indicate osteopenia
in the hip area (-2.2) and osteoporosis in the spine (-2.4).  I was sort of
expecting that because I have had bone pain for the last six months (even my
teeth hurt), but I was hoping the damage would be minor.  I know what needs
to be done to repair this damage and I think I'm doing pretty well with the
GF diet, calcium supplements and exercise.  The good part is that my stomach
is much more settled with no bloating or diarrhea.  The bad part is that
since going GF, I have developed constipation, sore breasts, swollen face,
stiff neck, "head in a vice" feeling, dizziness, continued fatigue,
increased muscle ache with very sore joints especially in the morning and
after sitting momentarily, and a huge weight gain (25 pounds in 2 1/2
months).  All of this right after turning 40; talk about going over the hill
rapidly!  I've increased my fruit and vegetable consumption, severely
limited sweets, increased my walking regimen (although painful), started
taking flax meal and rice bran, and use either Konsyl (psyllium) or Phillips
MOM daily. The ironic thing about this whole story is that I had been the
healthiest(seemingly), most nutritionally aware member of the family.  I've
been a vegetarian for 8 years, never smoked, rarely touched alcohol.

The only meds I'm on are Levoxyl (synthroid) and Cytomel (T-3) for Euthyroid
Sick Syndrome (although I'm not sure that's the final diagnosis of the
thyroid issues-the levels haven't been extremely out of range).  I also take
B-12/folic acid shots once a month for pernicious anemia/folic acid
deficiency.  My doc is running many more tests to include a hormone profile
and food allergy screening because he thinks something else is going on.  He
has mentioned fibromyalgia, an underlying infection or hormonal imbalance.
I should hear the results within the next month but I was wondering if any
of you have experienced anything like this.

Thanks so much!