From:
Diane Pearson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 30 Jun 1999 11:01:11 PDT

Hi, I found you comments re: contamination of grains very interesting, and
encouraging.  I myself waiver between being very strict, and not wanting to
eat anything that has not been officially declared "gluten-free" by the
producer, and telling myself that the risk from, say, uncleaned equipment is
so minimal that I shouldn't worry about it.  Tell me, as a celiac, do you
personally consume products which are gluten-free in their ingredients but
made on equipment that may have been previously used to make
gluten-containing foods, such as certain Kellogg's cereals for example?

   How would you feel about buying grains in bulk bins at a health food
store?  Do you think visual inspection and washing to get rid of "dust" is
sufficient?  (I have been doing that myself, although I am a little uneasy
about doing it with kasha, since when I wash it I do a very quick job of it,
to avoid it turning to mush).  Would you buy, as I have, packaged chichpea
flour from an Indian store?

   I guess I'm just wondering what a sensible and knowledgeable-sounding
person such as yourself would say to some of my practices, which are
motivated largely by wanting to save the trouble of ordering all of my food
from gluten-free vendors for at least twice the price I could find it
elsewhere.   Hope to hear from you--
                                                        Diane, NYC.