From:
Roni Lamb <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 5 Jun 1999 11:46:13 -0400

RE:  Are Pez Candies Gluten Free?  I have contacted the company about
two months ago and never received a response.

First of all, thanks to everyone who responded to my question (my three
year old son appreciates your input even though he doesn't know it).

One person had the initiative to find the Pez Candies company address,
as well as the name of the CEO.  I have fired off a letter to the CEO
and will let you know the response when I receive one.

Here is a summary of responses:

- Two people responded that, although they have no information that Pez
if GF, their Celiac children are able to eat it without negative
response.  One indicated her child is very sensitive.

- Three people responded that they had contacted Pez 1-3 years ago
either by phone or letter and had received written or telephone
assurance that Pez are GF.  This obviously does not mean that it is GF
now.

- One person responded that Pez are GF according to a German GF Guide
she uses (she lives in Portugal).  I understand formulations in
different countries could be different, though.

- One person responded that perhaps I should make him candy he would
like.  I do that, but would also like him to have the pleasure of having
something he already likes, so he doesn't feel as though I have taken
away all of his pleasure with this GF diet.

- Two people advised to beware of the mono and diglycerides.

- Ironically, two different people volunteered information about
Smarties (my son loves those, too).  One said they contacted the
manufacturer and the manufacturer assured her Smarties are GF.  The
other person said that Smarties are NOT GF according to her German GF
Guide.  Again, this could be the result of different formulations in
different countries.  This is also a good indication of how we have to
deal with conflicting information all the time.

As I stated above, I will share whatever the Pez CEO sends me.  Thanks
again to everyone - I never thought Pez would be such a hot topic.

Roni Lamb in NJ/USA