From:
Saskia Smith <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 4 Apr 1999 20:35:47 EDT

Dear List,

This is in response to a question a few people have asked when I mentioned
that I make my own corn tortillas, and sometimes use the flour for making
pasta and in waffle and other recipes--but it is not good for everything.

I live near the Mexican border, so perhaps I have more selection of these
products.  I use Buena Comida insant corn masa mix from Artesia Quality
Products 110 W. Artesia Blvd, Comptom, CA 90220 1800 694 0378 with stone
ground corn masa flour, cellulose gum and a trace of lime. I called and they
said it was gluten free--that they 'clean their pipes' which does sound
dubious but they seemed very aware of gluten free people......well, I haven't
reacted to it so far.

There is a Quaker masa mix that they could not make a gluten free claim on.

Anyway, this mix is really nice....i form an elastic ball (which somewhat
survives the pasta maker even though it is VERY tricky)--coating my hands
with olive oil--sometimes adding cilantro and fresh herbs to the batter--and
flatten it onto aluminum foil sheets and spray it with more oil with my oil
mister--that is the only way I've devised to get it flat without purchasing a
tortilla maker.  Or I roll it between two sheets lubricated with oil.
ANyway, pop it in the oven blast it with heat and they are really great! I
even put the mix in my waffle maker--I love cripsy waffles and also use other
mixes (like blended rice with sunflower seeds and some sugar and oil and it
is great!) nice and crunchy!  I even made a veggie burger in the waffle
maker--my new toy!

Saskia

I am in no way affiliated with any of the above mentioned