From:
"Peter T. Gonos" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 13 Feb 1999 06:41:35 -0800

In February of 1998, I was told I had a gluten intolerance problem.  At
the same time I was told I also had prostate cancer.  I elected at the
time to not have the biopsy done for Celiac as I went through a biopsy
for the cancer which was about all the "probing about" I could handle at
the time.  In any case, I embarked on a strict GF diet.  The results
were fantastic.

In the 7 to 8 years prior to going GF, I lived with tagamet, tums,
rolaids, heartburn, acid reflux, etc.  The symptoms were so bad and my
health became so bad I took early retirement in '93.  In '97 I changed
health plans and my new doctor addressed the issues professionally and
ethically.  I am sure that many of you have also had the joy of HMO's
that don't believe in and, therefore, do not treat certain diseases.

In July and August, I underwent radiation treatment for the cancer on a
daily basis except for weekends.  I had the 3d conformal radiation
procedure.

Now to my problem.  In November, foods that had been safe were causing
heartburn.  Although the intensity of the heartburn is not what it used
to be, I have had to return to the use of Tums to relieve the
discomfort.  No matter what I eat, I get heartburn.  My doctor is at a
loss as to what the problem is.  I am going to consult with a
nutritionist, but I am not holding my breath for the results.

I would appreciate any advice any of you might have for me.  I do not
want to got back to the pre-GF conditions of discomfort.  Since
February, I have eliminated all beef from my diet and eat very little
chicken and fish.  I eat veggies and rice, cottage cheese and fruit, and
treat myself to an occasional Hershey candy bar!

Excuse the wordiness and thanks in advance for your direct responses.

Pete
Shingle Springs, CA