Condense Mail Headers

Date:
Mon, 2 Aug 1999 16:54:43 -0700
From:

I've been getting so many responses asking the same question that I thought
I'd reply to the list.

Question 1. Why would they put gluten in canned tomatoes? My uninformed
answer was that perhaps they put it in to "set" or flavor the product, as
many others do.

Question 2. How would it have gluten in it if it is not listed? My
uninformed answer again on this was: I think I've read on this list that if
substances are under a specified minimum they don't have to be listed.

Also, as in many other instances, if they add something that had another
additive in it with gluten they just mention the original substance. Of
course my favorite case generates a syllogism (in it's worst meaning, that
of a deceptive argument) that they can put in tomato paste or puree that
has gluten in it and only list the paste or puree. Or better example, they
can put in msg which has gluten without listing the gluten.

So when I eat S&W tomatoes, which list nothing else, I get a reaction every
time, but when I eat home cooked tomatoes I do not. I know this is
anecdotal rather than evidential, but sometimes when other things are
eliminated, it may indicate something. I'm just looking for hidden sources
of gluten that I tend to find in unexpected places. -vance