Condense Mail Headers

Date:
Sat, 10 Apr 1999 12:03:45 -0700
From:

On the GF milk substitutes, I received two suggestions for Soy Dream
(verified: made by the same Co that makes Rice Dream, which is not GF);
five suggestions for Darifree powder; and three suggestions for Blue
Diamond Breeze almond milk.

Two suggested I make my own (thanks, but not likely :) here's a site to
help if you'd like to: http://www.panix.com/~nomilk/

The suggestion I liked best was the Internet address for Imagine products
-- they offer some gluten free milk subs that look good:
http://www.imaginefoods.com/

One wrote: Fat Free Soy Moo, it's GF and I love it.  Also so is Vitamite
and it's a lot
cheaper.

Ed: I loved it too, but when I phoned them most of their products,
including that one, were not GF. It was that damned barley again. So many
of these are sweetened with rice sugar and that seems to almost always be
made from barley, as I understand it at this point. Maybe I'll find later
that someone makes a GF rice sugar.  -vance

I found an Internet site for gluten free milk substitutes, but the first
two I tried that were recommended turned out not to be GF when I phoned,
after reacting to them. So now I'm wary of the site. They haven't been
available for several days now.

Here are some more replies:
I bought Better Than Milk *Rice*. I called the company and they assured
me that it was gluten free. They said the other Better Than Milk, ( I
think it was soy) was not gluten free. Now I really am confused. I also
bought Dari Free. Tastes like vanilla malt, a little too sweet for me.
It has 0 fat, 0 cholesterol, 115 sodium, 21 gr carbos, and 3 gr sugar,
other carbs 18 gr, 0 protein. I use it for making delicious ice cream in
my ice cream machine for a treat. It is made by Amazing Food tel
#1-800-497-4834  It is made from potatoes. Hope this helps.

In Canada we have a product called Whyte's Dari Free  that is high calcium,
no fat, and guaranteed GF as one of the company's developers if gluten
intolerant - I'm not terribly fond of it but I know a lot of people that
are and it works well in baking.

In regard to your post about Westsoy milk, the Westsoy unsweetened milk is
GF.  It has only water and soy beans listed as ingredients.  All of the
other Westsoy milks that we know about are sweetened with barley malt.  I
have been using Westsoy unsweetened for a long time and have had no
problems.  Did you enquire about other products they make that are GF or did
you only enquire about the milk that you had used?  I'm a little surprised
that they didn't tell you about their unsweetened product.

Ed: I asked Westbrae who makes Westsoy, but they didn't seem to know
diddley about the dif between GF and wheat free. -vance

        I have been using coconut milk as direct substitue for milk in my
cooking. It is not a calcium source as far as I know. I don't like the
taste of coconut so much, so I don't try to drink it or put it on cereal.
(Although I think I made a decent cocoa with it once). It works in
recipes. It even made a good custard, just like milk would. Chocolate
pudding worked too. My step-daughter could taste the coconut flavour but
my step-son just said, "Yum!".
        The only thing I don't know is if there is ever anything added to
cocnut mlik. I really don't think so. But I was planning to post to the
list to see if anyone knew of any reason not to use cocnut milk from the
Asian grocery stores.

We drink Pacific Foods Vanilla Almond Milk, and it is gf.  We love the
taste - it is somewhat sweet.  The regular almond milk is NOT gf, only the
vanilla flavor.

Have you tried Mocha Mix Non-dairy creamer?  It's soy based and I had good
luck with it, even with baking.

Pacific Rice Drink comes in plain,vanilla,and cocoa. It`s also fortified wit
Vit A and D.

We use Pacific Rice Non Dairy Drink, fat free.
Vanilla.......Calcium, Vit A & D, L. Bifidus and L. Acidolphilus
The Almond Vanilla Milk is very good...tastes like Choc milk
All of their Rice Drink is not GF so you can call for info on
them........(503) 692-9666
They are very helpful and will answer your questions.

There was a posting on Almond milk--regular flavor, NOT vanilla, that was
g.f.  I tried it & it wasn't too bad. Had not rice syrup in it.

Damn, this subject is complex isn't it. Haven't been this confused in the
four years plus that I've been trying to be GF. Lots of differences of
opinion as what's GF and what is not too. How unusual :)  -vance