From:
Cindy Fisher <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 4 Apr 1999 09:30:27 -0500

I can't believe it worked!  This is my mom's recipe handed down from some
great-grandmother somewhere and it is so good.

Chocolate cake

ingredients:
1/2 c shortening (may use applesauce)
2 c sugar
2 whole eggs
1/4 c cocoa
2 c gf flour (I used Sylvan Border Farms)
1/2 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp salt
1 1/2 tsp baking soda
3/4 c sour milk
1 c boiling water
1 tsp vanilla

Cream shortening and sugar together, add eggs and beat well.  Sift the cocoa,
flour, baking powder, salt, and soda together.  Add the dry ingredients to the
creamed mixture alternating with sour milk.  Last, add the boiling water and
vanilla.  Pour into 2 large layer pans and bake at 350 degrees F.  for about 25
minutes and toothpick comes out clean.  Let cool.  Ice with:

Quick and Easy Chocolate frosting

Melt 1 square baking chocolate (or 3 Tbs cocoa and 1 Tbs butter).  Add 6 Tbs
cream or milk, 3 Tbs butter and heat over low heat until melted and mixed up.
(I heat in microwave).  Remove from heat and add 1 pound powdered sugar (sifted)
all at once and 1 tsp vanilla.  Beat well.  If too thick add drops of milk to
thin, too thin, add powdered sugar.

This cake is really, really good if frozen then thawed out at a later
time.  Happy Easter everybody,
Joyeux Paque!  Cindy in Texas