From:
James Alpigini <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 5 Apr 1999 11:48:12 -0400

Greetings celiacs,

A couple of weeks ago, I posted a list of my symptoms and requested advice
from you knowledgeable folks.  I received an overwhelming response -- over
70 e-mails from some very caring people.  I tried to thank everyone
personally, but if I missed you, please accept my apology.

Based on your advice, I went into my physicians office on March 26 armed
with lots of information on celiac sprue and a clearly written list of my
symptoms, past and present.  It turns out that my physician used to own a
health food store and was quite familiar with celiac.  He sent me to a
gastro-enterologist who I saw on Friday, April 2.

Blood was drawn for the antibody tests and my biopsy is scheduled for
tomorrow, April 6. (I would be lying if I said I was not nervous)  I have
been eating lots of bread and pasta for the past 12 days, so I should not
have a false negative.  I guess I will know sometime this week if I join
the celiac ranks for true.

You know, this is a lot of fuss to give up my favorite foods. :-)

Anyway, the next [two] messages posted by me comprise a summary of the
collective wit and wisdom you all sent to me. I had to break it up due to
the length.

James Alpigini
Assistant Professor of Electrical Engineering
Penn State University, Penn State Great Valley
30 E. Swedesford Rd., Malvern, Pa 19355
e-mail: [log in to unmask]  Phone: 610-648-3357 Fax: 610-889-1334