Date:
Thu, 1 Jul 1999 01:01:05 GMT
>    From:    Susan Carmack <[log in to unmask]>
>    Subject: reaction to refined foods
>
>    I woke up this morning and found that one of the sleepover guests brought
>    and cooked Kraft Dinner!!! last night. I was insulted quite frankly....
>    Am I over reacting?

Well, yes & no. It would seem to depend on what hospitality
you give and whether it's within reasonable expectations.

Family members and close friends (who presumably have been informed
of the gluten issue and take *you* seriously) should be expected
to observe the house rules with few to no deviations.

But casual guests who are on a loose "mi casa es su casa" basis
might feel uninhibited in cooking whatever they please. Maybe
the rules of hospitality need a second look.

Given the morbid sensitivity to gluten that celiacs have,
zero-tolerance must be strict, and erring guests
must be "enlightened" by the usual political means.

Jews have their dietary laws prohibiting even the presence
of foods like pork in their homes, still less their preparation
or consumption. It's not much different here, except in this
case the "gentiles" are the gluten-unaware.

I'd never consider bringing over a slab of meat to toss
on a vegetarian's grill -- but that's because I take my
veggie *friendships* seriously (even tho I think their
dietary lifestyles are a crock).

We have a sign at our front door, "Welcome to our home.
Please remove your shoes." If guests ignore the sign,
we are courteous but insistent. But that's just a bit
of extra dirt to deal with, not a major health issue.