CHOMSKY Archives

CHOMSKY@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
"Marques, Jorge" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 22 Apr 1999 13:17:22 -0700
Ok, let's work within your framework. You disagree with (b) the implementation and (c) the chance of success, but you agree with (a) NATO's putative goals, which, as you put it, are "to meliorate the humanitarian crisis."

Since I don't want to be accused of making inferences again, let me ask you this: are you taking NATO's putative goals at face value, i.e., do you (1) believe that NATO's goal is indeed "to meliorate the humanitarian crisis" and thus agree with NATO or
(2) are you saying that you agree with the goal itself, independently of whether NATO is involved? If neither (1) nor (2) apply, please clarify.

I'll tell you why I ask. I obviously disagree with (b) and (c) as well, but I also disagree with the (a) because I don't believe NATO's intention is or has ever been to meliorate the humanitarian crisis (and that's where examples of US actions in dealing
with humanitarian crises are of value).

But if you were to decouple NATO's involvement, as in (2) above, I agree that that the crisis needs to be dealt with. But at the same time, I believe NATO (or at least the US/UK foreign policy controlling the NATO agenda)is part of the problem and a
large reason for the escalation in the crisis.